Drac

time to save the dragon from the princess!

okay, got everything right this time with no boo-boos. yay! all comments and critiques welcome!

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

post-5673-1206213234_thumb.jpg

post-5673-1206213252_thumb.jpg

Edited by Drac

forgot to say what I used and here's the rest of the piccys. 2 1/2" electrical pipe cut to 3/4" width for the snap support, line 24 snaps attached the tower with large rivets and small caps, 1 1/4" rivet spikes to attach the other half of the snaps, 5-6 oz veg. tanned leather. straight sewing done with me tippman boss, handstitched down the back (ugh!). cased using lexol first then once it was soaked in, water in a spray bottle and wiped with a sponge to even it out and tooled immediately with almost no soak in time for the water using tracing film on top.

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

post-5673-1206213384_thumb.jpg

post-5673-1206213394_thumb.jpg

I like it.

I like it too. The design is great, the tooling well done and highly effective.

A couple of things that could make it even better: it looks like the top of the castle needs its edges slicked; the stitching up the back doesn't compare well to the rest of the project.

I really appreciate the ugh about hand stitching, I hate doing it and don't do it well myself, which, predictably, makes it something I see right away in other people's work.

There's something called a "tunnel stitch" where you go in through the flesh side, out the edge, in the edge of the other piece and back out the flesh side. It never shows from the grain side. While it would be a collossal PITA to do on a piece like this, it would give a great look. Not sure it's possible in 5-6 oz.

Dude, that is amazing. I wish I had half the creative genius you & a few (hell, most) others here. Keep 'em comin'!

thanks for all the great comments so far everybody!

peter

decided not to slick any of the edges (although I may go back and slick the very bottom still. haven't decided) because I wanted it to end up having a nice "old castle" look as it got used. and it would've been real difficult to do those parapets! ack! with the back, *shrug*, dunno what happened there. I probably pulled the cord wrong. I measured and poked everything correctly... or at least thought I did. don't think the tunnel stitch would work well with 5-6 oz. it would probably pull through fairly quickly.

tim

I can't really take too much credit for this. I got the idea from someone else who did one and posted it up here. the idea for the snaps is really the only original thing from me about this and that just popped into me head one day. just look around and keep your eyes and mind open for ideas.

Drac I love how you make everything better with spikes. This looks good bro. I get too eager and dye everything to look old but I am curious how cool it is gonna look with use and age.

thanks for all the great comments so far everybody!

peter

decided not to slick any of the edges (although I may go back and slick the very bottom still. haven't decided) because I wanted it to end up having a nice "old castle" look as it got used. and it would've been real difficult to do those parapets! ack! with the back, *shrug*, dunno what happened there. I probably pulled the cord wrong. I measured and poked everything correctly... or at least thought I did. don't think the tunnel stitch would work well with 5-6 oz. it would probably pull through fairly quickly.

The back on mine gave me nightmares, too. I'd LOVE to watch somebody who knows how to do it demonstrate the tricks. I bet that the example in the Al Stohlman books is using a much thicker leather, which would make a difference.

I can't really take too much credit for this. I got the idea from someone else who did one and posted it up here.

Hey, that would probably be me! I'm flattered that you decided to do a similar piece.

the idea for the snaps is really the only original thing from me about this and that just popped into me head one day.

I like your snap solution--it's an interesting idea to put them on the spikes.

go drac! love the way you did the stones...great home for those lucky dice.....are you a craps player?

djole

getting inspiration from everybody is one reason why this site is so great. glad you're flattered! :) with the spikes the idea literally just popped into me head and I wanted to put me own twist on the idea.

roo

thanks! I measured out and drew a grid on the tracing film then freehanded the stones as I was putting them on with the stylus. good thing ya can't mess up drawing a rock! *L* nope, not a craps player, or any other type of game anymore. nobody to play with (or even hang out with) so all I do is work.

fishguy

that's kinda the idea of this. unused dice can sit in the top or, if there's too many for that, they can sit in the tower section and the top can be used as the rolling cup. then of course the top snaps onto the tower for carrying securely.

Edited by Drac