TomSwede

Inspired by those Rene type cuffs going around lately

So I finally got to making this one. Main idea of the shape and the celtic piece came from seeing Leathercats version.

Vikinghails from Scandinavia to you my young friend :cheers: (those containers holds juice!!)

Also this is the tecnique used as a handle on the second rodtube I did.

Mexican roundbraid on the edges and the simplified version showed by ShirleyZ in the middle.

The dark red lace is hand painted after lacing and antiqued (after a coat of sealer) with saddletan wich contains a bit of silverdye to make a sparkling effect when the light is right. I also blended in silverdye to the final sealer for the red lace.

Unfortunately I couldn't get this effect to show in pics. Gonna try outside someday.

I also added a liner in thin veg tan to hide the innerounds of lacing and protection from possible arm pinching probs. An idea I didn't have time to execute on that handle.

I'm not satisfied with the edging on the closure pieces. Had to use contact cement to the edges to hold the liner piece wich spoils the efforts to get it look as one piece when burnishing. When I get hold of a nice red thread I'm gonna put a seem in those now empty groves.

I really tried to get this one up to competition standards so feel free to critice and give me tips on anything to do to get it better.

Tom

IMG_7366_01.jpg

IMG_7367_01.jpg

IMG_7369_01.jpg

IMG_7370_01.jpg

IMG_7371_01.jpg

post-5146-1214270921_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1214270932_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1214270941_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1214270950_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1214270959_thumb.jpg

:You_Rock_Emoticon: LOVE THIS ONE! Especially love the the metal centerpiece. The whole piece works and is really strong.  Super work Tom.  Guess you have to do something as long as you are not out fishing! :whistle:

Storm

Oh man shut it will ya! (about the fishing).

Thanks alot Stooorm!

Very glad you liked it otherwise I'd gone fishing instead of sharpening my swivelknife for more endorsements in leather.

Think I'll try to bend the centerpiece a bit to accomodate to the curvature of the arm.

Tom

Edited by TomSwede

That's way cool man. I like every thing about it.

I willing to bet that once others in your parts see it,, you'll be making more like it.

thats a stylin piece there tom...i dig it i dig it :dance:

:cheers: darryl

Thank you Freak and Kate!

The reason I choose this layout that came from Leathercat is just because it'll make a great watchstrap so I hope your right Freak since it doubles as wearable art and watchband. I don't like wearing a watch and was just lucky to find that celtic/viking medallin laying around.

Yup Kate, this ones quite beefy.

Oh another thing about the medallion, it's not perfecly round so that's why it looks a bit out off center it the horizontal plane. If turned 90 degrees the medallion cover the braid to much, on one side.

Thank you Darryl! Don't we love braids that doesn't corner, lol.

Tom

Edited by TomSwede

Hey Tom,

This is really nice. It's fun watching people make all these different variations of the bracelet. I'm glad the topic came up and inspired a few people. When I saw the first one a few years ago that Anne had made, I had to give them a try, and have made a lot of them for family and friends. Now seeing what everyone else is doing, I think I might have to make a few more using some of the different ideas all of you have come up with.

I like the closure - neat idea. Also like that you lined it. :thumbsup: Another great job!

Crystal

very nice tom, love the closure and metal centre piece. It is hard to see, but have you punched holes for the centre braid and not wrapped the bracelet first? This is a great chunky piece for a male. Great to see all the variations on this theme

Thank you Clay, Crystal and Roo!

I agree Clay, it's a good thing Annie came up with this one and inspired us all to get our creative juices going. I'm hoping this one (and possible variations) is something people want to have as I'm spending time in my other house and hate to carry to much of my shop back and forth it would be a good thing to sit with there. I can actually work with those at my job too (sometimes).

Crystal and Roo, the closure is great in style I think AND a good thing for the nickelallergic I am BUT there is some question about how long it will last since there aint alot material left in the clutching piece (about 3 mm or 1/8") and it's a twist and pull operation to hook it up. That's reason no.2 for that veg tan liner, to give it more durability. I'm struggling with the issue of: should I let the future seem go all the way along the edge including the narrow part. I don't think a stitching channel in the narrow part is a good idea neither taking holes for the seem there. It's just to narrow there, partially because of misstakes. I underestimated the need for sanding and burnishing on this part when I cut it out so got little to much material taken out. It'll be a good practice to fix it when it comes apart some day but I'm hoping I'm underestamating the strength of leather.

Yes Roo. I have two rows of holes following the edge 4mm in from each side. The inner leather piece is 3mm. First I made one edge braid with the liner glued in place (I glued it at the edges to get punch the holes in both inner and liner piece at the same time for perfect match) then I made centre braid under the liner, glued liner to next side, punching the holes there and lastly did the other edge braid.

Tom

Edited by TomSwede

Another masterpiece, Tom! I always love your style! That would make an awesome watch band. Maybe on the next one you could put in a snap closure, and then line it so the snap back wouldn't contact the skin?

I'm nickel allergic, too. Heck I'm so allergic I can't even have staples after surgery :eusa_naughty: Steri-strips either. Good old fashioned silk stitches for me! Maybe next time I'll ask if they can sew me up with leather lace? .....Excuse me Dr. Soandso, can you please close the incision with a 2 strand, 3/32" braided applique? :crazy:

Sorry folks, I only slept about an hour last night. I guess I'm a half a bubble off level today.

Thank you Gremlin and Hilly!

Yeah I did thought about a snap under the liner but I'm out of snaps and wish to seek new experiences.

Well I think you just came up with a new idea for the bodmod freaks. Applique lacing on your skin, heck that'd be soo cool to accentuate my tattoos with and a real :jawdropper: in that community!!

It's like I've always said about sleeping, it's for amatures but tonite I got a full 4 hours of sleep so I feel like brand new;-)

Tom

really nice work, tom.

Thanks Pip and Busted!

I also wanna thank Anne Newkold for getting all this started.

Thank you Anne

Tom

YEAH BABY!!!! Looks ROCK'N!!!!

Thank you Bro!! No skulls but these types sure are rocking. Already got addicted to having this one on my arm.

Tom

WOW Tom ! That's a great lookin CUFF, as you call it.

I've done some of Rene style, along with the stone.

BUT yours , I think you took trhem to another level.

I realy like your verson.

Thanks alot Craftsman, I take a deep bow for you!

That's a very nice thing to hear. I actually did lotsa mistakes along the way on this one, like forgot to colour the innerleather before starting braids, lol. Also learned that when you push the lacing needle through the holes the fourth time it is so tight that you actually start to push out the existing braids outer loop of lace wich is not very noticeable but yet, one want to do the very best one can, so for next one I'll work it so that the needle pushes in from the front and out to the rear.

The devil is in the details;-)

I can't take full credit for this one. Rene, Anne, Roo and leathercat is as much part of it. I'd love to be able to do that leather stone instead of the vikingshield.

Tom

Edited by TomSwede

Thanks Pip and Busted!

I also wanna thank Anne Newkold for getting all this started.

Thank you Anne

Tom

How funny, thanks though I have been told before I have a way of instigating things! :head_hurts_kr:

Some time next week I will be showing a local lady how to do that stone and will just have to post that one too so you might as well get busy on making some of them..... :innocent:

:jawdropper: Dude, that is just friggin' awesome.

Thank you Anne. I look forward to it. As you might have seen now I like to make another one and lace it from the back.

Thanks Snap, glad you like it!

Tom