jus10

Where To Find 1-2Oz Veg Tan

I got a sq foot of 1-2oz veg tan on eBay and can't seem to find any place else with anything that thin . At that size would it be under an odd category or something ? I guess 2-3 would work but I want some really thin stuff for card pockets in wallets

Any certain reason you're looking for veg-tan for the pockets? Pigskin, kangaroo, and several others are really good for wallet innards. These are usually under the category of lining leathers or sometimes garment.

If you're set on Veg-Tan, find someone that sells the 2-3 oz and will skive it for you. I believe Springfield Leather offers that service.

Waterhouse Leather will also skive on request, and they have some thin veg tan on special right now. http://www.waterhouseleather.com/econo_veg_45.htm

Usually veg tan is not done on hides less then about 4oz. My thinking is because the main point of veg tan is that you can stamp it, and stamping would not work well on anything real thin. Most people use thiner chrome tan for things that thin. However, like we said, if you want thin veg tan because you want to dye it or whatever, you will just have to make a special request at a supplier that offers skiving.

Thanks .

You wouldn't happen to know if the cheaper "encomey" or "craftsman" or b ext grades of leater last as long or near as long as let's say top grade Herman oak ? I have been looking around for this info and can't find it . Are the imperfections (scars brand marks ext ) and maybe dryer areas and location of manufacturing the only difference or will cheaper leather not last for decades or even longer ?

Ill call springfield I just ordered from those guys I absolutely love the fact that you can get a sq foot of just about anything which is all I'd really need of something so thin . @cyberthrasher

As far as how long a hide would last, mostly leather is leather. It will all last. The difference between the cheap stuff and the primo leather is mainly the amount of good clean usable leather per square foot. The enonomy stuff is enconomy not because of inharent flaws inside the leather, but the amount of range marks, holes, fatty areas, clamp marks, burns, ect, that is on the hide.

Thanks ! I've been asking around all month an have been worried that all the things I made from my first econo shoulder wouldn't last

I did find a very small spot that didnt take my oil dye when I looked at it really close I noticed it was either a flake of glass or something similar . I got it out with my awl an kept on dying . I found that odd

No sure on that one. One of the old timers probobly know exactly what it is, but my bet would be just something random that made it past the tanning process. Remember that skins are not harvested for quality first. They are a byproduct of meat packing so the tanners kind of get what they get.

http://springfieldleather.com/29887/Kidskin%2CFinished%2CBlack/

I'm guessing something like this would work ? I'm really inexperienced and have only used tooling veg tan and a little chromexcel .

All the types of leather can be really intemidating and I'm not really a people person so contacting a supplier and carry on a conversation isn't easy for me

As for the grades, B grade Hermann Oak is pretty good. I only switched to A myself because there were a few marks in the middle that were hard to work around for guitar straps without killing my yield. Craftsman - I try to stay away from it. I've purchased 2 craftsman grade sides. The first had a beautiful grain side, but it was really fleshy and didn't edge that great. The second had a solid flesh side with no stringy flesh, but was pretty hard all the way through and the color was a little off. This one doesn't case well and really sucks to tool, but it does stamp alright. Dying can be tricky on that one. My point is that the Craftsman grade is pretty hit and miss, and even your hits aren't really perfect. For a little more, the B grade is an excellent choice.

Also, here's a brief guide on Springfield's site regarding leather. There are actually guides on most supplier sites.

http://springfieldle...ing Leather.pdf

Another Edit...... I just looked at your kidskin. I just ordered some of that myself for lining. It's a really popular choice and used on a lot of those really expensive designer products ;)

Edited by Cyberthrasher

I had some cracking on my econo grade from tandy .Always around a bend on the business side and this is before dye dries it out a bit . I'm planning on getting the "American single shoulder " from Springfield along with maybe a bundle of something and that kidskin for Christmas the American shoulder says its from HO but I may go with another just depends if they still have some in two weeks or so

Have you called them? They'll get you sorted out just right. You just have to be clear on what it is you need/want. I usually email, but that's because I'm pretty much required to keep my phone open all day. I'd check with them on the comparative grade of that "American Single Shoulder", just to be sure it's good stuff. They can/will also cut a shoulder from their B grades.

Ill call and do my next order over the phone and ask basically how I can get the best stuff for what I need while not paying for absolute perfection . I know I won't buy leather from tandy again it didnt have many bad spots but doesn't smell like the other stuff i have used it doesn't really smell at all and seems a bit dry

. I wish I could drop around 1000$ bucks at Springfield but 1-200 is about my cap for now especially with Christmas coming some of the bundles are really appealing at 40-80 $ for around 40 sq feet of stuff to experiment with and get my feet wet

I just wish I had known about them from the start

. I wish I could drop around 1000$ bucks at Springfield but 1-200 is about my cap for now especially with Christmas coming some of the bundles are really appealing at 40-80 $ for around 40 sq feet of stuff to experiment with and get my feet wet

I just wish I had known about them from the start

My suggestion is to just get what you need right now in order to make some dough with it. As you create and sell things, you can buy more. At first I bought a little of this and a little of that. Now I pretty much only buy what I need for a specific project and get enough to have some left overs.

I don't really feel comfortable selling anything until I've made a lot and made the same thing over and over and worked out any kinks I've been giving things to family as an excuse to make more.

I'm just the type that has to make things or I go nuts and once an item is complete I start another I don't like TV and most people drive me nuts lol so I just make things when I have free time I paint and dabbled in music but was horrible at the music .

I put some of the first things I made in critique my work . I think I get a little better with each item but I need a lot of work before I'd want to sell something to a stranger

In my experience 1-2oz veg tan is pretty much impossible to find. Lowest Ive gotten is 2/3oz from Wickett & Craig and Goliger Leather (split Hermann Oak) but youll be buying a full side. I hear Waterhouse will split down too but havent tried them yet.

I just got a 2/3 single shoulder at Springfield. Not sure,but I think they cut it there. HO leather, and order says item # 911-4005, for what that's worth. This is purdy darn thin, really. I got the single shoulder - must be 5-6 feet - cuz I needed ONE piece this light (holster lining). Then decided with some mahogany stain some more of it could become that wallet that lady wants. Point is, this stuff is thin enough I'm INVENTING ways to use it :)

I have always looked at Springfield on my phone but I used my pc the other day and noticed a lot of the "tooling" sides and shoulders have an option to select sq ft ranging from just 2 to a lot . I'm not sure if they really want people ordering 2 sq ft at the normal price or not and it may of even been some technical error

No, no accident. They'll cut you a piece. I think this piece was off a side -- they cut 'em down and sell backs n bends, so this is 'left'. But they'll cut for you. A while back, i had ''em sell me a side, then cut some strips off the side , then skive the strips thinner. Yikes, I paid for it! Still, saved me some jerkin around, so ....

I really would like to try my hand at a range of things and that would require some 2/3 or 3/4 and some 5/6 and I guess for large knife sheaths 8/9 or 7/8 and I can't buy 3 or 4 for sides all around the same time while not selling anything

I'm about to get a swivel knife and some stamps and learn tooling so I guess I'll screw up a lot and need a good amount .I think something around 5/6 would be good to get a lot of and stick to just a few sq ft of the others

Scratch the 5/6 I think around 7/8 would be more versatile . I gotta stop using my phone to shop lol I see tons of things and options on the PC I haven't seen on the mobile

**update ***

Never mind the 1-2 oz I just got some 3-4 and its as thin as the stuff I got off eBay labeled 1-2 oz

On a side note I got the 1 sq ft of Herman oak at almost the price of 2 sq ft not knowing better and its not really in perfect condition the way one would expect from springfeild's description it's got some pen marks and a lot of handling marks but o well I hope the large order I do is better

I would strongly suggest you pick up the Handy Gauge by Black River Laser http://www.ebay.com/itm/HANDY-GAUGE-LEATHER-OZ-GAUGE-CRAFTAID-LEATHER-CRAFT-/130978443726?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e7eec71ce You really can't get a feel for leather thickness until you've handled it and actually seen the numbers.