A couple pics of two of my practice pannels. Its just cheap 3/4 oz. leather scrap so the impressions aren't going to be all that deep. But it is a start. Some of the leaves turned out ok but other than that I feel like its pretty aweful. I'm looking for some basic sheridan/floral patterns to practice with if anyone would like to share.

Bryan

post-37647-0-20138000-1359070060_thumb.j

post-37647-0-81797800-1359070078_thumb.j

Two comments:

Looks like your leather is too dry while stamping. Light weight leather can dry out fairly quickly. There is a pinned topic here on how to properly case the leather. If it dries before you get done, mist the leather some.

Tip your veiner more so the impression stops before the edge of the leaf. And the veins curve upward (toward the tip of the leaf) on leaves, not downward. Examine pictures of leaves (real ones) that you are trying to produce.

You'll get other comments too, but I won't run on. Practise doing the same pattern a few times and you'll see improvement in each one as you learn what works best.

Tom

Hey, I was in North Pole Alaska in August of last year, drove 14000 miles from virginia to alaska , points in between and back ,it took 2 months, great, You got raindeere ( spelled wrong) there I seen them , cold there huh?

Ok Tom I see what you mean. I read the artcle and will try again tomorrow. I just did what I saw online. Guess the so called "experts" didn't know what they were doing. Pretty typical really. I did wet them but I see now that it was not nearly enough and I didn't put them into a zip loc over night to absorb moisture throughout.

I love living here, North Pole Alaska is a unique place to live. Small community with a good attitude. I don't have any raindeer no. And yes it is cold here. The bottom is going to drop out of winter this weekend and then it will be -40 for a while. How long is anyones guess. End of March maybe? But I like living where living is a challenge. Easy just isn't any fun. :crazy:

Bryan

Oh and one more thing. The picture on the left was cut with a paring knife not a swivel knife. The one on the right I used a swivel knife I had just gotten. Its a Tandy, yes I know, not too good. But its what was available to buy here.

Edited by Bryan M

Ok Tom I see what you mean. I read the artcle and will try again tomorrow. I just did what I saw online. Guess the so called "experts" didn't know what they were doing. Pretty typical really. I did wet them but I see now that it was not nearly enough and I didn't put them into a zip loc over night to absorb moisture throughout.

Thin leather doesn't need to case as long as thicker leather. It dries out faster too, so may need additional misting before you finish. If the leather isn't burnishing (turning darker) when you stamp it, needs more moisture. Some will wipe with a wet, not drippy, sponge to add more moisture, then wait for the colour to return to near the same as it was before wetting or casing it.

Tom

Thanks for that Tom, I understand what you mean. Wasn't able to get anything done today. But, I will soon.

Some more practice. I got a small Tandy pattern from a little knife pouch kit they make. I'm happier with this than anything else so far. One problem I have is, not enough stamps. The ones I used for this are not ideal for this piece. Still its the best one I think I've done.

post-37647-0-29118400-1359487893_thumb.j