nkivette

My First Cue Case!

Hi, This is my first post on this forum and wanted to "show off" what I've been working on for a few days. I have been into leather work for about 8 month's and am absolutely loving my newly found hobby. I began this art of leather work last November when I needed an arrow quiver and went to the local Tandy store and purchased a few items to make my project, since then I have spent almost everyday practicing and learning everything I can about leather work. That brings me here to a great forum where I have gained a ton great knowledge and know how.

My other hobby is playing pool, I finally decided to tackle a project of making a cue case, I searched the forum for tips and ideas for my project. I found a wealth of knowledge and a lot of help from some of the most talented cue case makers in the world. I would first like to say "Thank you to all the case makers who have shared their knowledge", it has helped tremendously. Here is my first cue case project and am hoping to get feedback or criticism on case that could help me in the future on making another. Any pointers, tips, secrets or knowledge will gladly be appreciated. Again, Thanks for all the help!!post-41888-0-82916300-1371290440_thumb.jpost-41888-0-34736800-1371290489_thumb.j

Hi, This is my first post on this forum and wanted to "show off" what I've been working on for a few days. I have been into leather work for about 8 month's and am absolutely loving my newly found hobby. I began this art of leather work last November when I needed an arrow quiver and went to the local Tandy store and purchased a few items to make my project, since then I have spent almost everyday practicing and learning everything I can about leather work. That brings me here to a great forum where I have gained a ton great knowledge and know how.

My other hobby is playing pool, I finally decided to tackle a project of making a cue case, I searched the forum for tips and ideas for my project. I found a wealth of knowledge and a lot of help from some of the most talented cue case makers in the world. I would first like to say "Thank you to all the case makers who have shared their knowledge", it has helped tremendously. Here is my first cue case project and am hoping to get feedback or criticism on case that could help me in the future on making another. Any pointers, tips, secrets or knowledge will gladly be appreciated. Again, Thanks for all the help!!post-41888-0-82916300-1371290440_thumb.jpost-41888-0-34736800-1371290489_thumb.j

Overall looks pretty good. I would caution you about your attachment points and the weight of the leather you use for them. Think of it in terms of overbuilding, not just adequate. You don't want your straps or attachment points to fail later down the road, so the stouter the better. I learned that one the hard way as I'm sure a lot of folks have.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck for your help! I am working on a 2X4 case now and will use your advice. You must have a pretty good eye to notice that from the pics I posted. I checked out your website and am so impressed. I really appreciate your advice and hope you will offer more on future case projects. I'll keep you posted on my progress on this next case. I really have found that since I play pool, I can incorporate it with leather work. Thanks again for looking!

-Nick

Felt lined PVC pipe from an old cue case that I came up on loot with. My wife is the bartender at our local pool hall and the owner has been giving me old cue cases to repair and use for parts for new cases I make. It took me by surprise when I took apart the first case and there was plain 'ole schedule 20 PVC pipe.

Great idea!

I'd like to make my own case as I play in an 8 ball league all winter.

Edited by Dreadly

Awesome, There is a lot of great knowledge on this forum. If you check out above on this post, you will see that Rivercity has offered up advice and help. Check his site out, very talented that one is. Plus I found a cut template of the "Cowboy Case" that Instroke sales. I believe that John Barton put it on the forum, but don't hold me to that. Otherwise good luck on your case and post some pics. -Nick

Also, that cut template is a PDF ready for download.

This is a great job all around, and beautiful to boot. I know I'm coming late to this thread, but I have a couple of suggestions for the future. First is sewing down the strap attachments as well as riveting for both top and bottom. This will help reduce the stress and increase the life of your case. Also, assembling the top of the strap to come from the top of the attachment (instead of the bottom) might improve comfort on the shoulder.

Again, great work. Cheers!

Unlike a lot of us, you probably won't hide or quietly discard this your first major effort.