Spinner

Lesson learned

I started Jen's seat this weekend and everything started out well, the pattern worked nicely, the tooling went well. Got the top wet molded, holes punched and was starting to dye everything when certain parts began resisting the dye. I had done my prep work, cleaning everything well, and then used Super Sheen as a resist for antiquing. What I didn't realize was that in three areas around the carving I either hadn't been as careful as I thought or something had bee missed. Long story short, make sure your resist goes where you want it to and not where you don't want it. Approx. 20 hours of work and $50 in materials down the tubes. :(

I was saavy enough to get a picture of the carving before it went to pot though...

DSC00127-small.jpg

I started Jen's seat this weekend and everything started out well, the pattern worked nicely, the tooling went well. Got the top wet molded, holes punched and was starting to dye everything when certain parts began resisting the dye. I had done my prep work, cleaning everything well, and then used Super Sheen as a resist for antiquing. What I didn't realize was that in three areas around the carving I either hadn't been as careful as I thought or something had bee missed. Long story short, make sure your resist goes where you want it to and not where you don't want it. Approx. 20 hours of work and $50 in materials down the tubes. :(

I was saavy enough to get a picture of the carving before it went to pot though...

DSC00127-small.jpg

Awesome job! Too good to trash. Nuke it with black and salvage the carving. There's always someone who wants black!

:You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon:

I tried to use super sheen as a resist on a project a few weeks ago, and it didn't work out well for me either. I used an entire bottle of deglazer and was able to strip 98% of it off and save the piece. If you could strip it, you might be able to dye it a darker brown or black like Bree said.

A mistake like that is just an opportunity to show how good you really are! :)

Kevin

+1 to Kevin's post.

It isn't "Not making" a mistake, it's "Recovering from" a mistake.

hmm....good info I tried lacquer thinner and denatured alcohol but didn't think of using a deglazer. Might be one more chemical compound is all I need! LOL. I'll give that a shot and see what happens, it can't get much worse and if I can get the black to soak in, I can always do a watercolor wash over the black to get some color back into the piece. Thanks for the thoughts.