I figured it was appropriate that this was finished so close to the 4th of July. I had a fella out of Texas by the name of Danny contact me in March of last year. Danny wanted a rifle cuff for a Marlin rifle in 30-30 his grandad recently passed down to him made as a tribute of sorts. We talked about it off and on for a while and initially it was just some stamping work and that was that. Then he decided a few weeks later he wanted a sling. Few weeks later he called and asked if we could figure out how to put 'don't tread on me' on it right as I was finishing his first initial piece. When I got the ball rolling he decided he wanted a belt..then..and then...and then...and then again. Danny kept telling me don't send anything until it's all ready. He knew that his grandad was going to be tickled pink and didn't want him finding something without him having the chance to show it all. I finally cut Danny off on additions when he said 'oh yeah, I need a few ammo pouches and an ammo slide.' Any further ideas will go onto the next rig he decides he wants icon_razz.gif All of his pieces aren't shown but there are 22 in total.

So I bid you farewell old friend in form of leather and the project that I thought would never end. It was nice knowing you and fun while it lasted but you need to move along to Texas where anxious hands are a waitin.'

39d1f197-870d-4407-9ac6-bb487df098c2_zpsfe4941ea.jpg

4_zpsac66081f.jpg

2_zps975f75d1.jpg

1_zpscbdf07a6.jpg

11_zps0f1140f0.jpg

10_zps6d73cfc9.jpg

9_zpsf3a36b98.jpg

6_zps564ce488.jpg

Fine work Sir...as always...i wish i could tool half as well as you...i had a customer that wanted the gadsen/dont tread on me as well...i thought about it for a while and went with a concho...lol...im just not that artistic...my snake would have looked like an overused slinky....great job man...love the color on those as well...

Fine work Sir...as always...i wish i could tool half as well as you...i had a customer that wanted the gadsen/dont tread on me as well...i thought about it for a while and went with a concho...lol...im just not that artistic...my snake would have looked like an overused slinky....great job man...love the color on those as well...

I'll let you know a little secret, I can't use a swivel knife to save my life. That was laser engraved and much to my surprise turned out beautifully.

WOW, sir your work is absolutely amazing! Are you buying your leather drum dyed or did you dye that yourself?

That's awesome. The entire set is beautiful. The design goes perfect with Independence Day.

WOW, sir your work is absolutely amazing! Are you buying your leather drum dyed or did you dye that yourself?

I dip dye all my leather. It gives inconsistent colors but I can force 'shades' to a customers tastes. Takes a while to figure out and your never really done.

NICE!!

Thanks!

That's awesome. The entire set is beautiful. The design goes perfect with Independence Day.

Thanks Matt!

beautiful work ! I get customers that send 35 emails about 1 65.00 holster...

Really very pretty. Your work has such a classic style to it, one that I genuinely love. To me, gunleather in the late 60's and on into the 70's was great - well designed and beautifully executed. I think you nailed it!

Really very pretty. Your work has such a classic style to it, one that I genuinely love. To me, gunleather in the late 60's and on into the 70's was great - well designed and beautifully executed. I think you nailed it!

You hit it on the head there neighbor....ive been slowly trying to get away from the detail boned holsters...today's holsters look more like plastic than leather...i know there is always going to be someone who wants that, so ill never escape it altogether, but i prefer that classic look..and exotics of course...ive done more elephant, shark, and hippo holsters here lately than anything else...

beautiful work ! I get customers that send 35 emails about 1 65.00 holster...

I'm sure everyone does. Take it with a grain of salt as a lot of times in my experience their the most loyal customers.

awesome!

Thanks Jake!

Thanks dick, I really appreciate that. Considering my first holster was patterned off a Roy Baker pancake i think my styling cues were skewed from the start :thumbsup:

You hit it on the head there neighbor....ive been slowly trying to get away from the detail boned holsters...today's holsters look more like plastic than leather...i know there is always going to be someone who wants that, so ill never escape it altogether, but i prefer that classic look..and exotics of course...ive done more elephant, shark, and hippo holsters here lately than anything else...

You'll always have folks that want it. I'm just content not offering it, I'm no good at it so why try. Only thing I can get to turn out decent is a 1911 because I know them well.

Dang Man. That's some fine looking rigs.

I think this will be part of what is passed down to future generations. Well done.

Really nice work, I always enjoy seeing your gunleather and your pictures are always cool too!

Best regards,

Josh

Great job on everything, colors are great.

Beautiful work !

Nice job! I really like it!

I will say that I've never seen cartridges put in loops bullet-side up. (I guess that was just for the photo.)

Very cool!

Was the laser ingraving very expensive?

Joel

Thanks all!

Nice job! I really like it!

I will say that I've never seen cartridges put in loops bullet-side up. (I guess that was just for the photo.)

I carry them that way because their easier to get out. It also shows potential customers through the photo the retention of the loops.

Very cool!

Was the laser ingraving very expensive?

Joel

Hey Joel, appreciate the compliments. he charges me $5-10 per project. Pretty reasonable in my mind.

I'll let you know a little secret, I can't use a swivel knife to save my life. That was laser engraved and much to my surprise turned out beautifully.

And this is the demise of the true artisans that take the time to "ACTUALLY" practice the craft and are not in it just for the money!! My grandfather (whom taught me the trade) would be rolling in his grave for the lack of workmanship and letting a computer with a picture from the internet do all of the work. This is why "CUSTOM" pieces of hand tooled leather are expected to fetch prices of those that are pumped out on an assembly line with no creative mark. I will always "HAND TOOL" all of my leather and not take the easy route!! I had a lot of respect for you as a leatherworker until you let everyone know you used a laser to do the hard work!! SAD SAD SAD!! I'm sorry if I have offended anyone that wants to take the easy way out but there it is. Sorry to be so honest!!

And this is the demise of the true artisans that take the time to "ACTUALLY" practice the craft and are not in it just for the money!! My grandfather (whom taught me the trade) would be rolling in his grave for the lack of workmanship and letting a computer with a picture from the internet do all of the work. This is why "CUSTOM" pieces of hand tooled leather are expected to fetch prices of those that are pumped out on an assembly line with no creative mark. I will always "HAND TOOL" all of my leather and not take the easy route!! I had a lot of respect for you as a leatherworker until you let everyone know you used a laser to do the hard work!! SAD SAD SAD!! I'm sorry if I have offended anyone that wants to take the easy way out but there it is. Sorry to be so honest!!

Just to be clear, I hand stamp all of my tooling, the Gadsden Flag pictured here is the only thing a laser has ever touched out of my hands. I do this for fun, plain and simple, and will continue to do things as I see fit whether someone looks down on me for my reasoning or not.

Should you feel the need to talk down on someones work in the future for doing it in a way that you would not even fathom, please do it away from my posts. I would have been happy to have had someone skilled teach me to do this hands on but that was not and continues to not be the case. Thanks for dragging up an old thread to complain about it...back to work for me.

Jeez Diablodeal, that seems a little over the top.

I would rather see Robert's great designs, colors, stamping, fit and finish with a nice clean detailed laser etching than a hand carved blob. I certainly don't think the laser work takes away from the rest of the piece.

FYI, if your work doesn't demand a decent price, it's probably not decent work. I hope I haven't offended you...

Josh

Nothing wrong with using a laser, its another tool & can bring something completely new

silkfatblues does some awesome stuff with laser engraving, look at these iphone cases

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=34875&st=45#entry278611

or this one

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=34875&st=60#entry289917

good luck doing those any other way

anyway, this is a gun thread, I dont belong here :wave:

Oh that is nice!

that basket stamping stands out really good.

Edited by St8LineGunsmith