Dan28

Long Run Strap Hand Stiching

Do you try to measure out enough thread to do one run and deal with pulling it all through each hole at first, or just expect to have to do small sections with multiple backstiches?

I started one last night with a very long amount of thread between my needles, but think I'm going to do shorter runs and a few backstitches so I can control it more easily. The stitch on this item is just ornamental, so no need for it to hold anything structurally.

I would cut the stitching up in shorter lengths, if it is a very long project. Not only do you minimise the risk of the thread getting tangled up as you move along, but too, you have a better oversight of what you are doing. Personally, the longest pieces that I have stitched was a tawse that I made, where I had to cut the stitching into three parts. If I had not done so, I would have been trying to stitch with a waxed linen thread about 2½ meters long (about 8 feet). I DID start out thinking that I COULD stitch with that long a thread, however about 1/4 of the way through, not only did the thread tangle up on me, but too broke. So I got two extra needles, cut the ends of each broken thread, needled it and when on stitching two holes from where the main thread had broken. Taught me a thing or two about planing your thread and stitching alright. :)

Just break it into comfortable length sections. When you reach a point where the first thread is too short to continue, run the needle/thread currently in front to the back either as a half back stitch or going forward. Start the new thread two to three stitch holes back from the end. The effect is the same as a back stitch but looks cleaner and seems easier to do for me.

Dan

Been stitching on the strap for hours and just a little over half way done. I did start breaking the thread up into about 8 foot section. Used the effect described above when I finished a threads run.

I pull about 6 feet off as a max lenght. Thats my arm spread so I can pull it through the first few holes without having to regrab the thread. As people have said long threads get frayed and break after going through too many holes.

I think I noticed I could stitch quite a bit faster If I could pull the thread through in one motion without having to regrab it. So I think my max length will be my "wingspan" from now on for the most part.

Anyway, I wanted to stitch on my lunch break at work today, so I brought the strap, thread, awl, needles with me to work. Made myself a makeshift stitching pony and got into a pretty good rythem with it. Probably have about an hour left till this strap is done. (Think I may redo the first eight inches or so. I was watching Nigel Armitage's videos while trying learn exactly how to get a good consistent stitch, and think it took me about that long before I was getting the hang of it)

med_gallery_53023_2281_386313.jpg