Johanna

A Special ClayB Lesson

http://leatherworker.net/bufffeathers/index.htm

ClayB took the time to take lots of pics and write detailed explanations of what he did to create "Buffalo Feathers", pictured below. For those of you who aren't familiar with him, ClayB is an incredible artist from North Dakota. He specializes in figure carving, but can also do nice florals or build a saddle.

ClayB has contributed other tutorials that can be found on the main page if the above link whets your appetite. He's also a staff member here at LW, and in charge of the monthly challenges and contests. Let him know what ideas you have for future ones, or better yet, volunteer to teach or sponsor one. We would be thrilled to have your participation! Let ClayB know what kinds of prizes you want to win. We need to know so we can ask the right folks to help.

Have fun, kids! This one is five pages long. Just follow the arrows for the whole tour.

Johanna

3image088.gif

post-5-1205431226_thumb.jpg

big big thank you clay

So Clay when are you going to start teaching in person? Don't you think it is about time to!

:notworthy:

Anne

When you teach in person, people can heckle you and throw rotten fruit and stuff. I feel pretty safe way out here in the boonies. I know Kathy and you can't throw this far :unsure: Maybe someday I'll teach a class but for now I am happy doing lessons right here.

Oh what cause you think we throw like girls? We know where to find you!!!! and WHAT ME HECKLE YOU???? Please.

I have seen enough of your work for the past 5 yrs that you should be teaching. Your lessons here are Great!!! :clapping: Just picture a class full of me and kathy's. :innocent:

Clay, we would never heckle you! You know we're much too sweet for that. :rofl:

Anne, I've been trying to get him to teach. I know he would do a great job. I mean, look at all the wonderful tutorials he does. Maybe someday he will realize that everyone loves him and heckling is just the name of the game. Who else could possibly teach us how to make a buffalo with feathers?

Kathy

Clay is "already" an excellent teacher. But, maybe he is the only one that doesn't believe it.....yet. Maybe we should all get together and make him a leather suit of armor to protect him from those flying fruit & vegtables he is concerned about. :horse: :D

Regis

I have been trying to get ClayB to come down to the Rapid TLF to tach a class. we just need to get together to plan one out.

ClayM

I have been trying to get ClayB to come down to the Rapid TLF to tach a class. we just need to get together to plan one out.

ClayM

Start him off with something simple, maybe the elk he did the tutorial on, and don't have them color it in class. They could put a clear finish on it like Clay often does, and it looks great. A one day class won't wear him out. That should build his confidence and encourage him to do more. His work is great and he has a lot of knowledge to share. The tutorials prove he can do it.

Anne and I will come, and we promise to be good. For a while.

Kathy

Thanks Clayb, another few years and I will have a go at that, really appreciated how to do eyes, as they are so important to bring life to animals or people. And i haven't got them right yet! hence no posts. I will come back for feathers, fur and modelling. Awesome tutorial!! I think you'd be a great tutor my 2pence worth, now to try and convince you to move to britain....... !

Anne and I will come, and we promise to be good. For a while.

Kathy

Now Kathy, don't make promises for me everyone knows I can't keep! if it's only for a while..... better be something like 5 seconds! Clay knows me better than that.

Me be good? :angel_not: .... like that ever happens! So I just try to be good at it being BAD! :devil:

Edited by anne newkold

The thing that is really great about this forum is that I can write up what I know (which isn't nearly as much as some of you think) and send it to Johanna and she can do her magic and here it is for everyone to see (along with a really nice into, Thanks Jo). I don't have to drive to CA or CO or Britain for anyone to see it, although I'd love to go to Austrailia someday, anyone wanna have a class over there????? Nobody has to write me a big check for the chance to throw rotten fruit at me! I am pretty sure Regis would behave, and MAYBE Bert would, but Kathy and Anne, I really doubt it. Even if you throw like girls, in a small room sooner or later you might get in a lucky shot. I'm really gonna try to do something in Rapid City this year at Clay's store there. I'll let you all know if we get something figured out but you'll have to check your guns and your rotten fruit at the door.

But seriously, thanks all of you for your kind words and encouragement. It's what keeps me trying to do my part to make sure this is the best leatherworking resource on the internet.

The thing that is really great about this forum is that I can write up what I know (which isn't nearly as much as some of you think) and send it to Johanna and she can do her magic and here it is for everyone to see (along with a really nice into, Thanks Jo). I don't have to drive to CA or CO or Britain for anyone to see it, although I'd love to go to Austrailia someday, anyone wanna have a class over there????? Nobody has to write me a big check for the chance to throw rotten fruit at me! I am pretty sure Regis would behave, and MAYBE Bert would, but Kathy and Anne, I really doubt it. Even if you throw like girls, in a small room sooner or later you might get in a lucky shot. I'm really gonna try to do something in Rapid City this year at Clay's store there. I'll let you all know if we get something figured out but you'll have to check your guns and your rotten fruit at the door.

But seriously, thanks all of you for your kind words and encouragement. It's what keeps me trying to do my part to make sure this is the best leatherworking resource on the internet.

When you go to Australia can you go to Tasmania and up to Cradle Mountain to do your class?

ClayB thanks for sharing, this is one type of carving Ive been wanting to see how its done for some time now but had never been able to go anywhere to see it done. Not much teaching here in Atlanta Georgia.

When you teach in person, people can heckle you and throw rotten fruit and stuff. I feel pretty safe way out here in the boonies. I know Kathy and you can't throw this far :unsure: Maybe someday I'll teach a class but for now I am happy doing lessons right here.

Clay,

Great job on the tutorial. Yep ol' pal, you should teach. Your figure carving and embossing are great. Even I would take a class, and I leave figure carving and silverwork to those who can. I had 6 "do-overs" to get one to pass eons ago when they had the Tandy Leather College thing going. My squirrels looked like bears, my deer looked like a bear, my bear looked like a pig, my grass was fat and looked like a crop of sticks, and my trees had leprosy. I finally passed with a "snake in the desert scene". I can tool sand, rocks, and a cactus.

I would also be willing to serve as seargent-at-arms if necessary and will do a fruit-check at the door. If you get nervous, imagine the students as a bunch of monkeys (the imagine them in their underwear thing is not PC anymore apparently). Second thought, monkeys don't fling fruit..... There is a reason that monkeys are behind glass, we know what they toss. Ernie and I got your back, but we'll stand behind you.

ClayB. If you ever get to Australia I'm sure you'd be warmly welcomed. You just need a toothbrush and a passport.

Barra

Clay B., if you ever make it to South Carolina, you can sleep in my spare bedroom and smell the leather, as that is where I do what little work I'm able to do at. We'll even feed you so that you can keep up your strength to try and teach me some things. I don't have the talent that a lot of people have, but it sure is fun trying to do something with a piece of leather. Regards Billy P

Clay...dimensions in leather 2009 in brisbane australia...got to come.. a week long leather lovein LOL ...you can sit next to peter main...i will save a fosters for you

Hole lee smolly , smack daddy, crack heads, chicken leg !!! That's one great write up. Thanks for taking the time to take all the pics and explain it all as you did this. It's such a great tutorial and you make it look so easy, heck i almost think i can do it.

That's a gorgeous war buffalo ClayB !!!

Thank you Freak. This really wasn't as hard as it looks, just time consuming doing all the feathers. You CAN do it!

Leatheroo, I'd really love to be able to go to the Dimensions in Leather conference someday. I doubt I will make it in '09 but hopefully Cheryl and Peter will keep having these long enough that I can make it someday. I got to spend some time with them in Sheridan a few years ago and it was a lot of fun.

As for all the rest of you, if I ever decide to go on a teaching tour, I'll let you all know. It sounds like a lot of fun too.

Clay

Thanks Clay for all the help and time you have given to all of us.

If you all haven't checked out his website you should. It is fantastic.

Mr. ClayB

I appreciate the lesson. Ms. Joanna, thanks for sharing with us. It looks amazing from start to finish.

Greetings from Round Rock, Texas

When is the Dimensions in Leather on I might see if I can organise myself to get to this one.

CLay consider my hand up for your upcomming :) classes.

Johanne

Thanks Kani and ATX. Johanne, as soon as I here anything about the next Dimensions in Leather, I'll be sure to make an announcement, and add it to the calendar. I am pretty sure there is supposed to be one this year, maybe in July? You could send an email to Cheryl McIntyre. She is usually the one that heads up the conference so I am sure she could let you know more details. Sorry, I wont be at this one, but I sure hope to make one sometime in the future.

Clay, if your on your way to Austrailia maybe you can make a stop here in Hawaii and have a class. if not on the way over. maybe on the way back its a long flight.. and you can't go home with out some mac nuts and kona coffee :drum: and maybe we can use you to try to plug up our volcano at the same time :)

Edited by hiloboy