JollyJ

What Conditioner Can I Use To Soften And Waterproof A Bracelet Painted With Cova Color Acrylic Paint

I made a handpainted bracelet using the following steps. What can I use to soften and waterproof it?

1. Cased the leather with water.

2. Dyed black with Eco Flo Professional Waterstain. (Really seems to make the leather stiff!)

3. Wet the leather again.

4. Roughed up the area to be painted.

5. Applied a Cova Color acrylic paint/water combination to prepare the area for the undiluted paint.

6. Applied two very light coats of undiluted paint.

I let the paint dry between coats and I let the second coat dry for a couple days.

Can I use Aussie leather conditioner on it to soften it and make it waterproof or at least water resistant? Will it hurt the paint?

Thank you for any help you all can give me!!

I would just put through my fingers ( kinda bend it when your pulling it through across your fingers ) to soften it up. The Aussie leather conditioner will help soften it to.

I would just put through my fingers ( kinda bend it when your pulling it through across your fingers ) to soften it up. The Aussie leather conditioner will help soften it to.

Thanks for commenting! I was hoping someone would either yell (:eusa_naughty: ) at me for doing the wrong thing or give me some constructive criticism on my process. It's been 35 years since I did leatherwork and I'm trying to settle back in to it slowly but some of the supplies I used to use don't seem to be around any more. I never had to worry about my paint staying on way back when but now it just doesn't seem to work as well.

I'm hoping the process I used will make the paint more lasting. While it was drying I did bend it a lot to try to prevent cracking. After it was dry, I also ran it through my fingers like you suggested. I finally put a very light coat of oil but not on the painted area and let it dry thoroughly. Then I followed up with some Aussie conditioner but again didn't put it directly on the painted area. I guess we'll see how it wears... :head_hurts_kr: