UKRay

Burgundy - How Do You Mix This Colour?

I've had a week of frustration trying to make a burgundy coloured bag.

Fiebings dyes just don't do the trick straight from the bottle so I thought I'd ask if anyone had a 'secret' recipe for mixing burgundy. There is always more than one way to do a job so please add your contribution.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted and acted upon!

Cheers folks,

Ray

Hi Ray. burgundy is probably giving you fits because it isn't a color. I mean everyone knows what burgundy is but it's not the same color to everyone. I hope you have more than fiebings spirit or oil dyes because you have to mix burgundy. It's just read and brown. I started with watered down dark brown water based dye and just kepi adding a dollop of red until I got to what I consider burgundy. Hope this helps. Cheryl

I've had a week of frustration trying to make a burgundy coloured bag.

Fiebings dyes just don't do the trick straight from the bottle so I thought I'd ask if anyone had a 'secret' recipe for mixing burgundy. There is always more than one way to do a job so please add your contribution.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted and acted upon!

Cheers folks,

Ray

From the old grump: Ray, I'd think that Fiebing's Cordovan might be a god place to start --- then start dripping some red into it. Used cordovan on this holster --- thinned 50/50 with denatured alcohol.. Mike

002-13.jpg

Ray have you looked in to Angelus dyes they do a burgundy and wine tone, I bought them from here if you can't find them locally http://turtlefeathers.net/text/angelus/dye.html I don't use them any more as I couldn't handle the smell as they are a bit more wiffy than the other dyes I have used so can't give you any further pointers with them. It's a pity your not in Oz as Birdsall do a nice burgandy.

Heres a link to a chart I made for them awhile ago http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=27141&st=0&p=171056&hl=+angelus%20+dye%20+chart&fromsearch=1entry171056

I do remember they were very strong out of the bottle so do need to be thinned out some.

Cheers,

Clair

Hey Ray,

If you end up not being able to find the color you want out of the bottle, here's the not-so-secret recipe I created for wine/burgundy about a year and half ago and still use. Works nicely and switching dye brands should only require slight tweeks to the formula. I do a lot of custom color so I prefer to mix my own when specialty colors are requested unless I can find the 'perfect' color in a bottle.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=28055

Cheers,

Chris

Color chart says equal portions of 1/2 cup red and 1/2 cup blue add 1 cup of red hope this is what you are looking for