Mike Craw

Gomph-Hackbarth Stamping Tools

When Carlos got a recent leather shippment from Siegel, there was a special offer for a 15 piece basic stamp set from Ellis Barnes, who makes Hackbarth Tools in Elfrida, AZ. He ordered one set for each of us. When we got our tools, I liked them so much, I found the listing for Gomph-Hackbarth tools and ordered a catalog. Mr. Barnes sent a copy of his stamp catalog and a flier with the basic tool offer and a small leather strip with an impression for each tool. He included a had written note that said he is 86 years old and has been making tools for 67 years. He also told us to go ahead and order all the tools we want because, "I need the money."

I have tried to photograph the leather strip with the tool impressions and the list of the tools included in the 15 piece set. These are outstanding quality stamps, and would be great for a beginner, or to upgrade tools you already have. Mr. Barnes says that ordered individually, these 15 would cost $465. The set sells for $125 + $5 postage. He takes credit cards and you can call him at (520) 642-3891.

I'm not in any way connected to Gomph-Hackbarth or Ellis Barnes. I just know we get a lot of questions on where to get a high quality set of tools, and I found one!

Mike Craw

P1010002.JPG

post-2291-1222192194_thumb.jpg

Mike, could you post a pic of the tools themselves? Are they larger diameter than craftools?

Mike, could you post a pic of the tools themselves? Are they larger diameter than craftools?

they are larger (slightly) in diameter than craftools and a bit shorter, they are about 1/2 again heavier than the craftools--from what I've used so far I love them! Can't take a pic of the ones I bought (same offer) tonight but I'll try tomorrow.

Hey rickyfro!

Here is a photo of the stamp ends of the Gomph-Hackbarth tools next to the impression strip I posted originally. The "mules-foot" tool is shown across the bottom with a Craftool U-710 for comparison. Hope this serves to answer your question.

Mike

P1010001.JPG

P1010001.JPG

post-2291-1222296312_thumb.jpg

post-2291-1222296478_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mike Craw

Thanks guyys, Im just trying to find something with a little bigger diameter, my hand cramps really bad using the crafttools. I think Im gonna order a set, I was just getting ready to order a set of hidecrafters pro stamps, they had a set of sheridan tools for 198, but I think Im gonna give these a try first, can they be ordered online or do you need to call?

Those are really nice looking tools, wish I had the money to buy a set, drooool !

Rickeyfro, I have added fuel line hose to a couple of my stamps to make them less crampy. ,Kevin

I ordered a set of the tools through Siegel and I find myself reaching for them first now, they are as good a quality as any that I've ever used or own. Better quality than the Hidecrafter tools, at least as far as the impression goes, I do like the diameter of the Hidecrafter tools but I've been putting rubber hose on the Hackbarth tools which make them very easy on arthritic fingers.

One more question, these were purchased from Seigel? I dont see them on there website. Rick

Hey rickeyfro!

Gomph-Hackbarth doesn't have a website, just an email address. I sent them an email the other day and I haven't heard back, so I'd call and talk to somebody so you know that your order was received. The Seigel offer came on a printed form when Carlos got his shipment of leather. I can garantee Carlos didn't do anything with their website! Carrier pigeon maybe, but a website...not so much :head_hurts_kr:

Mike

One more question, these were purchased from Seigel? I dont see them on there website. Rick

Rick: Ellis Barnes' Hackbarth basic set of tools is featured on Siegel's 'friday special' (for which you need to sign up). If you call Siegel's toll free #, they'll gladly sell you a set. :) And since it's over $75, it's free shipping, also.

russ

Edited by whinewine

Sorry to keep asking, but if I buy from seigel do I have to be a member of the wholesale club to get the deal on these tools?

Sorry to keep asking, but if I buy from seigel do I have to be a member of the wholesale club to get the deal on these tools?

no, you don't, but this special shows up if you've signed up for their "friday special" e.mail. . . but I'm sure if you call & order, he'll not turn you down! Good luck & let us know how you liked them.

Ask them about their headknives. I bought one at the Wickenburg show two years ago and I absolutely love it!

Hey Matt!

Who's head knife are you talking about, Hackbarth or Seigel? It wasn't clear in your post.

rickeyfro,

I can't answer about membership to order from Seigel. I know Carlos has a tax number and can order from Weaver's, but I don't think that Seigel requires one. If you would rather, you can call Ellis Barnes at the number in my first post and talk directly to him. From his note he sounds like quite a character.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I think I'll do that instead , Id rather see Elllis get the money himself anyway

Wow.. That's a LOT! Not meaning to sound offensive either, they look nice after all. I don't even wanna buy a stamp tool unless it's under $5 bucks most of the time. You guys are taking it in stride so I assume this is just everyday stuff? news to me anyway

Wow.. That's a LOT! Not meaning to sound offensive either, they look nice after all. I don't even wanna buy a stamp tool unless it's under $5 bucks most of the time. You guys are taking it in stride so I assume this is just everyday stuff? news to me anyway

All it takes is for you to use one of the better tools just once, and you will understand why $5 tools only cost $5.

You really do get what you pay for.

I don't want to butt in but I can't help myself I have had tools from the seventies, eighties, and ninties, and there isn't a compaison to the tools you can buy today. yes they cost more but when you buy thes tools from Ellis Barnes you willnever have to replace them. I have bought craftools, hide crafter tools and have had to replace them because they bend when you hit them with a good size mallet. Elis Barnes , Barry King, and Robert Bared tools may cost more but you will nver have to worry about messing up a project because you bent, or broke the tool you are working with. I have all three of these makers tools and I won't have a problem buying more they are worth the extra money you will spend rather than on the softer metal tools. I have several tools from craftool like the basket weave tools they are numbered the same but make two different kind of impressions, yet they are the same tool or at least they are supposed to be.

yes I know that you can make very beautiful work with almost any tool if you have the talent, however i have noticed a much better quality to my tooling using the more expensive tools, they make a cleaner impression and they are not made of soft material. just my two cents. if you talk to some of the older leather workers a good portion will tell you that a lot of the tools they used were made from nail heads and there work almost always sold for top dollar. if you get the chance to buy Ellis's tools you won't be unhappy.

Edited by skip

My issue with the cheaper tools isn't that they're weak. I haven't damaged one yet.

My issue is that they are poorly cast, leaving a blurry, poor quality imprint, and requiring a much harder strike to get it. The better quality tools leave clean, sharp impressions with less effort. They are also much easier to get lined up properly when doing border, linear or area patterns. All of this results in a better quality product, that takes less time and effort to produce, with a much lower chance of error.

I read about someone burning off the chrome of the crafttools and it made the impressions a lot crisper, does anyone here do that and how would one go about doing it?

Hi Brad,

You have to get the heat quite high to "burn off" the chrome, high enough that any temper will be gone. Wire brushing after that is pretty much out of the question. I really don't know much about which metal is used in them, I suspect it has changed quite a bit over time, and not necessarily for the better. I have no problem at all sacrificing a tool to the fire gods, especially a craftool, but without a little of the underlying chemistry it is simply a sacrifice. The chrome may be the only way they accomplish a little hardness with some inferior metal. The body of the tool may have reasonable utility, even with inferior metals, but the thinner sections that make the impressions may not be long for this world.

Don't be hesitant to buy craftools, they are cheap and of reasonable quality. However, one by one as you find yourself using a particular tool a lot (whatever beveler you seem to use all the time), switch over to a Bob Beard, Barry King, or an Ellis Barnes tool of the same or similar purpose and see what a difference they make.

Art

I read about someone burning off the chrome of the crafttools and it made the impressions a lot crisper, does anyone here do that and how would one go about doing it?

Hi Brad,

You have to get the heat quite high to "burn off" the chrome, high enough that any temper will be gone. Wire brushing after that is pretty much out of the question. I really don't know much about which metal is used in them, I suspect it has changed quite a bit over time, and not necessarily for the better. I have no problem at all sacrificing a tool to the fire gods, especially a craftool, but without a little of the underlying chemistry it is simply a sacrifice. The chrome may be the only way they accomplish a little hardness with some inferior metal. The body of the tool may have reasonable utility, even with inferior metals, but the thinner sections that make the impressions may not be long for this world.

Don't be hesitant to buy craftools, they are cheap and of reasonable quality. However, one by one as you find yourself using a particular tool a lot (whatever beveler you seem to use all the time), switch over to a Bob Beard, Barry King, or an Ellis Barnes tool of the same or similar purpose and see what a difference they make.

Art

Thanks Art, yeah I would be worried about ruining any temper on the tool also, to bad they dont tell us what it is made of so we could re-temper it (I used to make knives, haven't in along time but am familiar with several types of tempering). I bought one of the Tandy kits which came with a bunch of stamps, some of them being crap so I may sacrafice them to the fire gods! hehe

If I do I will post my results! I purchased several bolts today and am breaking out the files and dremel tool I may attempt to make some of my own stamps.