Lee

Decent tools

Hi all I'm a bit frustrated today. After a long hiatus from leather work and shooting I have decided to get back into the game. A year ago I bought a flintlock parts set and built a rifle out of it. I then decided to pick up some supplies from the MPLS Tandy store so I could create some leather accessories and today I dove in. I can't believe the Chinese junk they sell!!!! One of the sewing needles I can bend into a pretzel with just my thumb and pinkie and thats not an exageration!!! The awl is not much better. Where can I get decent tools. Lee

I then decided to pick up some supplies from the MPLS Tandy store so I could create some leather accessories and today I dove in. I can't believe the Chinese junk they sell!!!!

:yes:

Siegel of California sells quite a few CS Osborne tools (the most commonly-available, good-quality leatherwork tools I know of), and in my experience (not much), they are fine, US-made tools. And the Osborne #517 harness needles work very well for hand-sewing, IMO.

L'Bum

:yes:

Siegel of California sells quite a few CS Osborne tools (the most commonly-available, good-quality leatherwork tools I know of), and in my experience (not much), they are fine, US-made tools. And the Osborne #517 harness needles work very well for hand-sewing, IMO.

L'Bum

Thank you for the link. I just finished a knife sheath for a patch knife that i just made and I went through 3 needles to complete the job!! These needles seem like they are made out of lead. I even had one break of at the eye pulling through 3 layers of 4 oz. leather. Lee

Any tool from Bob Douglas will be a dandy. He makes the best awl handles and blades IMO. Also a real nice stitch groover. I've gotten some real nice edgers from Rons tools as well. A nice tool makes work a great pleasure. Chris

Id have to second that as far as Bob Douglas awls and groover, since I got these I dont dread hand stitching the way I use to, and you might wanna check out Barry Kings website, his whole line is awesome. Rick

Id have to second that as far as Bob Douglas awls and groover, since I got these I dont dread hand stitching the way I use to, and you might wanna check out Barry Kings website, his whole line is awesome. Rick
Thank you thank you, its good to know I have choices other than Tandy. Lee