Sign in to follow this  
RedSquirrel

What Weight Of Leather For Cuffs And Watch Straps?

Hi

This is my first post and I don't seem to be able to find what I'm looking for in the forum.

I'm already making belts and guitar straps using 8-9 oz leather, but I want to make trendy cuffs and watch straps and I'm not sure of what is a comfortable weight leather for these.

Is it a question of preference or is there an optimum thickness that can be used succesfully for this?

Grateful for any input

Thanks

Dave

Hi

This is my first post and I don't seem to be able to find what I'm looking for in the forum.

I'm already making belts and guitar straps using 8-9 oz leather, but I want to make trendy cuffs and watch straps and I'm not sure of what is a comfortable weight leather for these.

Is it a question of preference or is there an optimum thickness that can be used succesfully for this?

Grateful for any input

Thanks

Dave

I've made cuffs out of the 8-9oz cutoffs from making belts and dog collars. It is thick, and ultimately I think it comes down to personal preference. 5-7 oz is probably more ideal, especially for something as fine as a watch strap.

Thanks Lightingale

Yes I was thinking maybe 5-7 oz would be better - I think I might order some. I also have cutoffs from my 8-9oz and I guess I'll have a go with that, though I would probably not make them too wide because of the stiffness of the leather. Maybe not more than an inch wide?

Thanks for your advice.

I've made cuffs out of the 8-9oz cutoffs from making belts and dog collars. It is thick, and ultimately I think it comes down to personal preference. 5-7 oz is probably more ideal, especially for something as fine as a watch strap.

I would say 4 to 6 oz for watch straps. Any thinner and sweat might effect strength over time. Any thicker and it would get in the way. I wouldn't want something as thick as 8 - 9 oz around my wrist day in and day out. Cuffs you can go almost as thick as you want. I've made a lot of them out of belt cut-offs.

Great thanks Glendon

Sorry for delay in replying (been on vacation).

Yes I think a slightly thinner leather is needed for watch straps.

Since I posted I've made a cuff out of the 8-9oz and it's great! Trouble is I'm making most of my stuff with 8-9oz and have quite a bit of cut-off but I don't chuck anything away.

I think I'll get some slightly thinner next time I order.

Thanks

I would say 4 to 6 oz for watch straps. Any thinner and sweat might effect strength over time. Any thicker and it would get in the way. I wouldn't want something as thick as 8 - 9 oz around my wrist day in and day out. Cuffs you can go almost as thick as you want. I've made a lot of them out of belt cut-offs.