rhinez0r

What Kind Of Leather Is This? Machine-Sewn Wallet

Forgive me if this has been covered, I did a forum search and can't seem to easily find any topics.

I'm looking at this wallet: http://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/78744616/wallet-leather-wallet-mens-wallet-box?ref=shop_home_feat

And I'm curious to know if any of you can speculate what type of leather this is? I'd like to try to reproduce a wallet of my own and all I've ever used is 3-4oz veg-tan leather. I want to try using a "cheaper" leather and machine-sewing my product. What would the community suggest?

What kind of machine do you have? Because even my antique singers will handle 3/4oz. I don't know why you'd want to use a 'cheaper' leather to make yourself a wallet? I made one once out of bison calf that was both supple and firm, but that's expensive leather. I can't think of anything else you could use right off hand. Let me know what you come up with, Cheryl

Sorry, didn't answer your one question, pretty sure that is veg tanned.

Edited by DoubleC

I would agree with Cheryl. It looks like lighter veg-tan with some really awsome dye work.

Hi rhinezOr

I saw your comment on having trouble using the search engine here and thought I'd mention how I always use it...

Click on the star/wheel on the right side of the search box - This is for the Advanced Search

(I also always open it in a separate window - so hold down the command key and click on the star/wheel)

These are the 2 ways I use this Advanced feature.

I search by Find words or Find author.

99% of the time I use this option……

FIND WORDS - The way I have found works the best is to use just one word (the simplest) like -

airbrush, basketweave, case, checkbook, dye, edge, fingercarving, finish, graphics, holster, ink, knife, lacing, modeling, pattern, sheath, sewing, sharpening, swivel knife, tooling, vinegaroon, wallet, etc…

• Enter your word in the Find words box

For the Search in section choice click on Forums

Click on the choice for Display results and pick As posts

Click on Search now.

There will be all kinds of the posts for this subject and it will show those with pictures......

*** There may be a lot of posts that are not relevant, but I end up finding things I had not even thought of…

The other way I use the search engine is to

FIND AUTHOR - There are some Verrrrrry Talented Leather workers here and they share pictures of their work and share Very Good tips on various subjects. If you find a post with that interests you and you want to find more pics or info by them - take that authors name and enter it in the Find author line.

Search in section choice - click on Forums

for Find author - enter authors name

Display results and pick - As posts

Click on Search now.

*Not only will you get their posts, but any pictures they have posted.

*Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Wow! Thanks for all the awesome replies. I swear, this community is so unlike any other forum I've ever been on.

DoubleC - We bought used Singer home sewing machine. Picked up some nylon thread, leather needles and a plastic foot. Crossing my fingers :) I don't know the model off hand as I'm just away from home at the moment. I'm going to try my luck with some 3-4oz veg-tan.

LNLeather - thanks for the tips on searching the forums. I'll try that again next time I'm stumped ^^

My grandma gave me this sewing machine today, she said my grandpa would use it to sew canvas. Anyone ever see one of these? It's pretty old, but still appears to work great! Appears to have been manufactured in Edmonton or Ontario.

PqPYk2p.jpg