DJ1935

Decent Wallet Corners?

Has anyone got a way of doing wallet corners so that the corner is covered nicely? I'm using soft deer nappa for the outer and machine stitching after gluing around the edge to hold it whilst stitching. Cutting the corner off at a 90 degree angle might work with calf or thin russet but the soft deer skin moves whilst stitching and the cut angle gapes leaving an ugly gap and the corner of the wallet lining pokes out through the end. Most frustrating!

"Growing old is compulsory - growing up isnt"

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? What do you mean by that?

One idea comes to mind. Have you tried leaving the top fold of the bound edge a little long at the corner, and trimming after sewing?

Thank you, Glendon. I leave about half an inch all round and trim it off after sewing. I may have to round the corners slightly and go that way.

WyomingSlick the saying "Growing old is compulsory - growing up isn't" means that we all grow old physically we cannot do anything to stop that but mentally we don't have to.

Best wishes

DJ

LOL There is a big differance between growing old mentally and growing up. Not growing up is a big problem with some adults who continue to hold childish ideas long past the time they should have been replaced with adult ones.

Now, as to your problem with your corners. It would help a lot if you posted photographs of what you are doing now that isn't working. We would then be able to see just how square a corner you are aiming for, the technique you are presently using, and perhaps why it isn't working.

Meanwhile you might review the ideas in a tutorial on doing corner for bookbinding found at http://www.edenworkshops.com/images/leather%20corners.pdf

You may need to skive the leather at the corners to use the bookbinding techniques.

How about trimming with a rolling razor like people use for cutting paper, as in scrapbooking? It's a circular razor blade so does not drag. Option 2: round knife or head knife, and roll along your straightedge. You are not pulling so the leather will not stretch nearly as much. Option 3: use a razor scraper or chisel (as in woodworking) and just tap straight down... just for the corners, after cutting the rest how you have been. Option 4: a 90 degree belt punch, though I'm not sure that exists.

LOL There is a big differance between growing old mentally and growing up. Not growing up is a big problem with some adults who continue to hold childish ideas long past the time they should have been replaced with adult ones.

Now, as to your problem with your corners. It would help a lot if you posted photographs of what you are doing now that isn't working. We would then be able to see just how square a corner you are aiming for, the technique you are presently using, and perhaps why it isn't working.

Meanwhile you might review the ideas in a tutorial on doing corner for bookbinding found at http://www.edenworkshops.com/images/leather%20corners.pdf

You may need to skive the leather at the corners to use the bookbinding techniques.

I wish I still thought and acted like a child. I can't remember the last time I looked at something with unabashed wonder. I see that look on my daughter almost daily. I had no clue how good I had it before I became an "adult."