DJ1935

One Ear Headstall

I have a customer wanting a one ear bridle with the sliding type "ear". I have only ever made the fixed ear type of headstalls. Can someone tell me the if the "ear" is cut in a strip and then wet bent into shape or cut out of the

leather in a round?

A pattern or dimensions would be appreciated.

Thanks

DJ

Typically they are cut from a straight strip then bent around and folded over the headstall and sewn together. If the strip is kinda thick, it may seem like it wants to twist a little as you are bending a straight piece of leather in a circle, but thats how most of them are and it will work just fine. If you have a rein rounder, you can round the part that goes around the ear and leave the pieces that make the loops that the headstall slides through flat so you can sew them together. I know this is clear as mud, but if you need further clarification, let me know.

Hope this helps,

CW

Thank you CW, I can understand what you are getting at. How long is the ear part minus the return over the head piece? ie from the front edge of the head piece to the opposite side?

You may suggest a split ear headstall. Alot simpler to make and looks really nice on a horse with a pretty head. Not sure what they will use it for but my dad rides horses daily and this is all he uses anymore.

I'm also looking for details on how long the ear piece should be! I got a pattern package from Tandy Leather that has a one-ear bridle in it, but the ear hole is stationary - not a separate sliding piece.

Here are the mesurements and a pattern that I use. I very seldom use the flat straight style, but do use one that is rounded. Also, I make the width of the ear piece is the same as the head strap. From time to time I will make it smaller or larger depending upon the design of the headstall along with the head strap loops.

Hope this helps.

Bob

post-13361-070935300 1314151793_thumb.jp

post-13361-082718300 1314151811_thumb.jp

post-13361-071528800 1314151834_thumb.jp

post-13361-078616600 1314151851_thumb.jp

Here are the mesurements and a pattern that I use. I very seldom use the flat straight style, but do use one that is rounded. Also, I make the width of the ear piece is the same as the head strap. From time to time I will make it smaller or larger depending upon the design of the headstall along with the head strap loops.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Thank you very much for that! I'm going to copy it into my sketchbook right away!

Thank you for sharing that, Bob. Just what I was looking for and very much appreciated.

DJ

Thanks a lot BoB!

it's been a long time i was wondering about those

i ve tried to find info around the web...but nothing more "precise" than your explanation!

thankyou.gif

On 8/23/2011 at 11:00 PM, BOB BRENNER said:

Hope this helps.

Bob

post-13361-070935300 1314151793_thumb.jp

post-13361-082718300 1314151811_thumb.jp

post-13361-071528800 1314151834_thumb.jp

post-13361-078616600 1314151851_thumb.jp

Thank you sir! that's exactly what i was looking for :)