Newbie here - new to the forums and new to working with leather. I just completed (nearly) my first pair of sandals. I'm still waiting on an order of sole material to stick to the bottoms to make them wear longer, but they're wearable for now. I've learned quite a bit while working on these, so I'm excited about starting on the next pair to see if I can improve the look and the speed of construction.

Sarah aka Hawah

post-53125-0-93978300-1403484783_thumb.j

post-53125-0-22373100-1403484785_thumb.j

post-53125-0-44019300-1403484786_thumb.j

Cool, I like the multi-colored thread. Oregon leather in Portland has sole material, but sometimes they do not like to sell shoe parts to non-cobblers.

Every time I see that multi colored thread, I think "NIce, but where could you use the stuff??" Now I know ! Very nice, I too really like the multicolored thread.

Fun! I was thinking of making something similar soon.

Really nice project, and first time out of the gate too ! Well done !

I thought my wife was gonna climb all over the screen looking at these.

Now I'll more than likely have to set aside all else, to see if I can come up with a pair for her, she liked them that much !

But then she is a Sandal lover too, but especially in summer months. Thank you for showing us.

Thank you for the kind comments, everyone. :)

I have been trying to get instructions on the measureing for a pair for my daughter for a while now. I know it doesn't look like a difficult project, but I hate to do things "less" than they should be done. Any input from shoemakers out there? What is THE very best construction and fit instruction available. Why can some get away with cahrging $200 for a pair of sandals. They must be GREAT.

Sorry, Okiwen - I don't know the proper technique for getting shoe size measurements. Maybe someone else knows? I had an old sandal that I traced around for the sole, and for the straps I cut a long strip of leather and laid it along the old sandal straps to estimate the length needed, cutting a little longer just to be sure I didn't cut them too short. I used my own foot to make sure of the strap length needed when I was assembling the new sandal. As for why some people can charge $200 for a pair of sandals...I know other people out there are much faster than I am at leatherworking (using machinery for some of the stages would certainly help), but even half of the time I spent on these simple sandals would bring the cost up to around $100 even if I only "paid" myself minimum wage, despite using some of the least expensive leather available. Good leather + good wages = expensive sandals. More complicated sandals would cost more, sandals with good quality hardware would cost more, and sandals with quality cushioning and sole material would also cost more.

Thank you for your reply. I will continue my search for the perfect sandal.

I grew up in a family business that produced/manufactured shoes, mainly working boots, clogs and sandals. While most of it was heavily industrialized we also made 'artisan' versions where maybe 50% was handmade. Even though we could charge much more it actually didn't really justify the extra amount of time to make, nor the lost working hours that could have been spent on producing more cheaper products, but hey that is business! Point is that not understanding why some items cost a certain amount is just that, not understanding. If one doesn't think it's worth to spend that amount of money is a completely different issue, (personally I would never believe a pair of sandals costing under $80-$100 to be handmade if sold here in the west). Different market cater for different individuals. The sad reality is that most businesses actually charge less than they would like, because so few people find it worth to spend their money today. There are several exceptions of course, there always is. When it comes to measurements you use 'lasts' made from wood or plastic. you need at least one pair for every size but standard is 3-4, one for narrow or wide foot, high wrist etc.- and that is just for one style! It's a huge investment for a business. Some of the higher end make their own. Takes years of training to make one properly and is of course not cheaper. Sometimes on ebay you can find pair of last in individual pairs, if you are into shoe making that is your best bet unless you're willing to spend thousands on getting a new set. There is a guy that make and sell his own made clogs on markets here in London and he makes every thing himself including the lasts but he's been working with it for 40 years plus and he charges from £150 and up for a pair. And probably would like to charge more. For a first time making sandals I think they look great! Personally I think keeping a leather sole is more classy but hey, it's just an opinion! Looking forward to see your next pair.

Edited by ConradPark

I am so behind paying someone for the talent they have worked so hard to gain. But, being realitic also plays a hand. I can see that if the person is good at what he is doing in may take 3 hours from start to finish. Less if he is using clickers and so forth. That is $66/hr. That is a pretty good wage. Of course the person has to pay for the lights and the tools. Still just the same, a good wage. I hope they are busy all day long for that salary. God bless them.

Just plain too much for me to justify.