RoosterShooter

How Do I Terminate A Start And End Stitch .... Tippmann Boss

This is my first machine, and now that I have it set up properly I am having a blast !!!

Follow me here ....

On my holsters I run 1 stitch line all the way around the area to be stitched, and then I run a single reinforcing line that terminates without meeting another stitch line. Does this make sense?

What is the best way to terminate a start and finish that does not intersect another stitch? Basically ... a straight line.

I can add a pic if needed.

Edited by RoosterShooter

What I usually do, . . . use my 6 stitches per inch wheel, . . . lay out about 6 stitches at one end of the line.

Make 4 or 5 of those stitches. Your direction will be away from the center of that line.

Turn the leather around, . . . and re-stitch those you just did, . . . going in the opposite direction.

When you get to the end, . . . simply back stitch the same number of stitches you did to start.

NOTE: after you do the first 4 or 5, . . . cut off the ends of the thread where you started. If that extra length "gets involved" with your new stitches, . . . OHHHHH, is it ugly and hard to manage.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Dwight, that works good for me IF I am using a standard round-tip needle, but if you are using a chisel-point needle to cut through thicker layers of veg tan, if I go back over as you mention, I pretty regular find the chisel cuts some of the thread making it fray or sometimes almost cuts the thread in two. . . If using a chisel point is the only thing to do is pull thread on one side, knot and add a little super glue, or burn/melt end with lighter/match. Interested in any other thoughts...Thanks !

Dwight, that works good for me IF I am using a standard round-tip needle, but if you are using a chisel-point needle to cut through thicker layers of veg tan, if I go back over as you mention, I pretty regular find the chisel cuts some of the thread making it fray or sometimes almost cuts the thread in two. . . If using a chisel point is the only thing to do is pull thread on one side, knot and add a little super glue, or burn/melt end with lighter/match. Interested in any other thoughts...Thanks !

Good question Rooster...I see what you're saying. This may be unorthodox, but what if you stopped up to a point and raised the presser foot pulled out extra thread and hand sewed the finish?! Don't know how how convenient that is but it might work. :dunno:

Good question Rooster...I see what you're saying. This may be unorthodox, but what if you stopped up to a point and raised the presser foot pulled out extra thread and hand sewed the finish?! Don't know how how convenient that is but it might work. :dunno:

You have a good point! No pun intended. :)

I use the chisel point needle on my holsters, and could back out the thread, use it as a leather punch, and just hand sew those last few lines. That would be a lot more durable and aesthetically pleasing that double stitching the same hole.

You have a good point! No pun intended. :)

I use the chisel point needle on my holsters, and could back out the thread, use it as a leather punch, and just hand sew those last few lines. That would be a lot more durable and aesthetically pleasing that double stitching the same hole.

My guess is the holes would already be large enough... Couldn't you just thread up hand needles to finish in the exact same holes?

My guess is the holes would already be large enough... Couldn't you just thread up hand needles to finish in the exact same holes?

That's what I was thinking. I would just remove the thread from the machine needle.

With the Cobra 4, I stitch two, back one, and continue forward. Very strong.