rodeomic

Finishing

Good morning. I have read articles recently where the author mentioned using virgin olive oil for their finish. Could someone please speak to that, and maybe share your experience using that oil?

Thanks in advance.

Roger

Good morning. I have read articles recently where the author mentioned using virgin olive oil for their finish. Could someone please speak to that, and maybe share your experience using that oil?

Thanks in advance.

Roger

Not sure about with leather projects but in woodturning Olive Oil is a no-no for food safe products as it can go rancid in the depths of the fibers. Walnut Oil on the other hand, doesn't spoil, has a similar color and is naturally stain resistant. I've used it on many salad bowls and it works great. I know we're not talking food safe with leather usually, just throwing some info out there.

I use olive oil on a lot of my leatherwork. I use it after tooling, prior to putting the final finish on the leather. I don't use it as a final coat, just to help when the leather is really dry. I will put a couple of light coats on, letting them sit for 8-12 hours between coats. I have a wallet that I finished this way that I have been carrying for two years, and a portfolio that I have been carrying for almost three. No issues with the oil going rancid. The olive oil will allow the leather to darken, and gives a really nice patina as it changes color.

There are two schools of thought of using oils that have the potential of going rancid with leather. I have never used it on leather, but I personally watched the in house leather guru at my local tandy use olive oil on a rifle scabbard, and when I asked him about it he said that that was how he was taught. I know that any time you work with wook you should not use veg based oils at all.... mineral oils or walnut.... but for leathers I stick with what is popularly used and has been for years, neetsfoot, mink, and the other one I cant think of off the top of my head.