Sign in to follow this  
GDouglass

Axe Handle Braiding

I had a customer call me last week about doing a handle cover braid over the last 18 inches or so of an axe handle. This guy is a firefighter and will be using the axe on the job. He wants a strong leather lace, so I'm going to use a dark brown or black kangaroo lace to do it, and he wants a "whip handle" type braid. What would be the best braid to use? Feel free to add any other info you'd like about this topic. Thanks!

-Grady-

You should ask him if he want that braided handle to transition smoothly from leather to the handle. If he does you will have to carve away 18 inches of wood handle.

If this were me, I would do some Fid work on it, or a handle plait . Either one works well.

Sample of some fid work I did a while back.

100_0775-finish.jpg

Putter Handle.

Hope this gives a few ideas.

B...

You should ask him if he want that braided handle to transition smoothly from leather to the handle. If he does you will have to carve away 18 inches of wood handle.

If this were me, I would do some Fid work on it, or a handle plait . Either one works well.

Sample of some fid work I did a while back.

100_0775-finish.jpg

Putter Handle.

Hope this gives a few ideas.

B...

B,

Thank you so much for your advice! I really appreciate it! With that being said,....

I'm not a seasoned braider by any means, but I have been learning a lot through Bruce Grant's Encyclopedia over the past year or so. I was reading another thread about what the best books are for braiding and such and have some good ideas of what I need to look at, BUT what would you suggest for me to look at to be able to do something along the lines of what you posted for this axe handle?

Thanks again,

Grady

Ron Edwards Plaiting whip handles is a good one. You should google ramskull press and it should come up with their site where you can go and find many books by Ron Edwards. All are for sale there and they use pay pal.

B...

Hey Grady,

What you could do is use multiple strings and plait it on like a nose button for a bosal. That way, you dont have the ends of your strings at either end of your braid. By using a multiple string nose button technique, you would be able to bury the ends in the middle of the braided section, while still having bights on either end that will help keep everything from coming undone. I would even go so far as to build a foundation if he doesnt want it smoothly transitioned like Brian suggested. That way your bights have something to hold onto on the shoulders of the foundation. If you want to get together I can show you how to tie it once you know which way he wants it done.

Hope this helps,

CW