Sign in to follow this  
wildrose

Kindle Cover

I've had a few friends and locals asking about Kindle covers. Having never made one, let alone even seen one, I'm not sure how to go about it? (I plan to check some out soon at the local bookstore or electronics place like Best Buy, but I'm not sure they'll have any open for "inspection")

Because it is just basically a computer monitor, . . . the thing needs to be protected.

Put something in the "cover" part that will protect the "screen" from the owner banging it up against a table corner, chair arm, etc.

I'd use a thin Kydex sheet or something like that, . . . maybe a sheet of plexiglas, . . . but other than that, I think I would make them either like a zippered Bible cover or with a clasp like a clutch purse.

And of course, . . . carve the thing front and back, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

I guess my main issue is how to keep the thing inside when the cover is opened.

I've had a few friends and locals asking about Kindle covers. Having never made one, let alone even seen one, I'm not sure how to go about it? (I plan to check some out soon at the local bookstore or electronics place like Best Buy, but I'm not sure they'll have any open for "inspection")

Holly:

ebay has quite a few various covers , many, many starting with a 1 cent bid :Holysheep: . That's where I got a 'nook' cover to copy for my wife's nook. She's using it while I make a real one in leather for her. Just put in the keywords: 'kindle' or 'nook' or whatever to find the right size covers for your project.

It's basically held in with elastic at the top & a leather pouch-like holder at the bottom. It's best to get an actual cover to see how it all goes together, & for a minimal amount of $, you have something that can make a de-constructed pattern, if you wish to tear it apart.

russ

Edited by whinewine

Here are some photos of an Amazon Kindle Cover. Note the tabs used to keep the Kindle in. If the Kindle is lifted by itself, these tabs can break. They slide into the Kindle.

Mike

post-5060-072541200 1294756998_thumb.jpg

post-5060-021548800 1294757010_thumb.jpg

post-5060-088324500 1294757030_thumb.jpg

post-5060-029589600 1294757042_thumb.jpg

Maybe a shallow "cup" at top and bottom, suede or such that can be pulled over the item when it's in place? Only one "cup" would have be very flexible, the other could be as rigid as you think appropriate.

Maybe a shallow "cup" at top and bottom, suede or such that can be pulled over the item when it's in place? Only one "cup" would have be very flexible, the other could be as rigid as you think appropriate.

Three sides of the Kindle are used by the owner. Left and right sides have buttons to turn the page. The bottom has the power on switch and controls for audio and the USB mini connector.

Mike

My guess would be corner slots at the two bottom corners and a cup at the top. This would allow access to all the buttons and secure it at three places. It'd have to fit snug.

Mike

post-5060-081058200 1294757600_thumb.jpg

post-5060-047289400 1294757621_thumb.jpg

Makes sense, Mike. Elastic?

Edited by Gawdzilla

Makes sense, Mike. Elastic?

Sound like a good idea. The interior of the cover needs to be soft. Mine feels like felt. The exterior of mine resembles Moroccan grain or similar leather. Laid flat it is 7 3/4" x 11". The spine seems to be just over 3/4". Hope this helps.

Mike

I am just starting to make a cover for my wife's Sony reader. I bought a soft rubbery "skin" for it on ebay, my plan is to make my tooled leather cover then attache the "skin" by either sewing or gluing.

There's another direction altogether you can take this. My girlfriend got a Kindle for Christmas. We discussed what she wanted in terms of a "Case". Her preference was for something that she puts the Kindle in when she's not using it, rather than for something it stays in while she's reading.

So I made a felt lined pouch with a beavertail type closure. Really, really simple. Protects the Kindle from scratches when it's being carried around in her bag.

Peter, I'd considered that angle too; not sure which way I'm going to go yet.

I started one for my wife and have taken it apart multiple times. The leather needs to extend past the kindle no further than 1/4 inch to be able to attach the cup at the bottom with the middle area trimmed down so you can access the switch and power plug in. The only thing that I have been able to put together for the top is elastic. I have tried thin strips and other methods but no success in this area. I hope this helps and look forward to seeing a pattern or a successful completion of one on here soon.

TheDuke

I just bought a kindle, so I've been thinking about a cover. Amazon is trying to sell me one that you can leave on the unit while you read. I think it also has a light. But, as someone else pointed out, I think I'm really more interested in something to store it in so it doesn't get messed up when I'm not reading.

BTW, if you haven't thought about getting one of these things, you really should look into it. It's maybe one of the best purchases I've made in years.

One last thing - and I don't want to hijack the thread so I'll be brief - there are surprisingly few books written on leatherwork outside of the Tandy/Stohlman reprints.

Edited by TexasJack

Thanks everyone for their insight on this. I've been asked to make a Nook cover for a friend. He wants the case to open like a book, and we are going to take a similar cheap case and reuse the built in plastic clip to lock the Nook in place. It is great to get all of this information on the different ways to do it though.

Bob

Thanks everyone for their insight on this. I've been asked to make a Nook cover for a friend. He wants the case to open like a book, and we are going to take a similar cheap case and reuse the built in plastic clip to lock the Nook in place. It is great to get all of this information on the different ways to do it though.

Bob

Here's how I did my wife's nook cover...post-18415-093718600 1305580914_thumb.jp post-18415-039594100 1305580951_thumb.jp post-18415-036368800 1305580975_thumb.jp

I'm getting ready to make one for myself, but I think I'm going to do it a little differently.

I like the slide aspects here you could also extend this all theway around and use a flap that folds under the device at the opening preventingit from falling out that way. It may work better on some than others but thenyou could cut out for buttons and whatever you might need but still have the supportall the way around.

Tlong

Think Positive Be Positive