Sign in to follow this  
Janne

Newbie From Finland

Hello all,

My name is Janne and I come from southern Finland, near our capital Helsinki.

I've been riding a bike for some years now (first Harley, now Buell) and been introduced to leather tooling via my interest in building bikes.

I also play and build guitars, so I was familiar with Waylon Jenning's stunning leather tooled Telecaster too ;-)

So finally I decided to take the bull by the horns. It was near Christmas, so I asked a basic leather tooling set for X-mas present from my wife. Then I found this amazing forum, which has already been so much help for me.

Here's my first "proper" practice piece, an image I originally came up with when I was doodling around on my sketch book:

2636315500047851002S500x500Q85.jpg

I got lot to learn, but I'm very interested to know more.

BR,

Janne

Janne,

Welcome to the Forum. I think you will find a lot of kindred hearts here. There are a number of forum you might like to check out if you have not already done so:

In the "Leatherworker Board" there is "How do I do that" that has several topics explaining things. There is all "Paul Burnett School of Leather Ornamentation" with several PDF files explaining various topics.

In "The Business" there is "Getting Started" with a "Basic Leather Carving Tutorial" along with information on tools, supplies and other information.

In "Fabrication" there are a number of forums that may assists such as "Leather Tools", "Patterns and Templates", "Braiding", etc.

IN "Specialty Leather work" there s a forum just for "Motorcycles and Biker Gear"

This is just a sampling of the various forums present in this site. We all went through the leaning process so please ask questions and provide us any of your insights.

Again , welcome to the forum

BillB

Welcome to Leatherworker.net!

Feel free to ask all the questions you want, we'll gladly help you in your new addiction.

Thanks for your warm welcomes!

Actually, the Motorcycles and Biker Gear section was the first thing I knew on this forum, when I googled something related to making seats. Anyway, I have since found answers to some of my main concerns (casing, warping), so this rather short time here has been very valuable for me already.

Thanks, once again.

- Janne

P.S. Nice to see other Finns here too :wave:

Welcome to the forum, from another motorcycle rider/shade tree mechanic and leather worker. You are off to a great start! I have actually been riding my BMW K1200RS more than working with leather lately. When ever the weather cooperates. The 73cb500f is a current project and the wristbands were from awhile back, I am currently working on a bible cover for my pastor and a seat cover for the honda. Jordan

post-4868-078815300 1295910600_thumb.jpg

post-4868-060175400 1295910685_thumb.jpg

post-4868-096894200 1295910727_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jordan

Welcome to the forum and greetings from Central Texas, USA!

Hi Janne! :wave:

An other newbie from Finland. I drive Harley-Davidson Road King.

So far i have made few saddlebags, leather west and some pouches. Now i'm working sissybar bag and carved belt. I have K29 series Singer ja some Tandy tools.

Ranze

(Sorry my lousy english).

welcome aboard from Arkansas, and it looks like you are off to a great start.

Welcome to the forum. Im considering trying a Buell, Lightning Long. Ive always like those.

Thats a nice bit of tooling, even more-so condinering you havnt been doing it for long.

Thanks again, everyone!

OdinUK; go for it. You won't be dissapointed on XB12Ss, at least when it comes to rideability ;-) I ride a tuned & modified XB12S.

Ranze, nice to meet you here. Maybe we Finns can share some info on where to buy things etc. ? So far I have ordered stuff here and there; Puuhari and Slojd-Detaljer in the first place. It's a pity that you cannot get everything you want from one place ;-) Last time I forgot to put an edge slicker into my order, but I asked my uncle to turn a few ones in a lathe for me. I'll probably get some different samples made of maple, birch and teak. Which one would be the best wood for burning edges? I'll get them next week when I go to Oulu for winter holiday.

Today I finally got into working on some new pieces. I did a practice piece for a tank panel I promised to do for my friend's H-D Softail. I tried the packing tape to prevent warping, and yes it really works!

My edge slicker is plastic. It's from Tandy UK, where i mostly buy tools and other stuff. So, you be my hometown -wellcome! You reach me also our HDCF-forum, where i use same nickname.

post-19858-032334700 1298294016_thumb.jp

Heh , not the only Finn , I see .

Hello from Lahti .

You do not need to buy the slicker . Use antler tips , sand them to shape you wish and polish . My choice.

Ei sinun tarvitse ostaa reunakiillotinta , ota sarvea , muotoile ja kiillota se . minun valintani.

JR

Edited by JackRabbit