Diane

Charro Saddles

Hello,

I am looking for information on Charro saddles.

I have not been able to find any internet resource that explains how the typical tree fits a horse, and only one reference to a saddle having a modern tree. Though I have found plenty of ads for saddles..from the ultra cheap to the exquisite.. fit for a king.

Do you need a shorter seat than the usual western saddle..seeing that they lack a ground seat and padding?

How does the way they're rigged effect the fit? Are they ever made with back cinches?

Have only seen one very narrow antique charro saddle in my life ...and the other saddles... from a distance..while watching Jerry Diaz.

Have discussed via email with someone who said they used to rope some pretty big stock in a Charro saddle..down in FL. That they love the way the flat seat sits them close to the horse...and he has never sored a back.

Now I'm curious to know what others may know. And this is the perfect forum to ask on. Incredible amount of talent and knowledge here!

Thank you.

Hello,

I am looking for information on Charro saddles.

I have not been able to find any internet resource that explains how the typical tree fits a horse, and only one reference to a saddle having a modern tree. Though I have found plenty of ads for saddles..from the ultra cheap to the exquisite.. fit for a king.

Do you need a shorter seat than the usual western saddle..seeing that they lack a ground seat and padding?

How does the way they're rigged effect the fit? Are they ever made with back cinches?

Have only seen one very narrow antique charro saddle in my life ...and the other saddles... from a distance..while watching Jerry Diaz.

Have discussed via email with someone who said they used to rope some pretty big stock in a Charro saddle..down in FL. That they love the way the flat seat sits them close to the horse...and he has never sored a back.

Now I'm curious to know what others may know. And this is the perfect forum to ask on. Incredible amount of talent and knowledge here!

Thank you.

I have a charro saddle tree in my shop, and I´m a bit concerned about about the shape of the bars. They are straight as a board on the bottom side, no rock at all, so the tree has only contact with the horseback at the front and back edges, . So far I have not found a horseback it would fit so I guess it will end up being a wallhanger in my shop. I won´t use it on a horse! In the latest copy of The leathercrafters & saddlers Journal mr Dick Sherer, a known Colorado saddemaker, made the same notice about the bars from a visit in a Mexican saddle tree shop. The tree is well made , but ...........

/ Knut

Most of the charro saddles I have seen do have very short bars, have only a rim fire front rigging where a ring is hung on a loop of leather around the fork on each side, many have stirrup leathers that are very long going around twice ( I cut a set last year for a charro that had a finished length of @ten feet.). The style of roping is dally and the large wood horn is design for that purpose. Like any style the design varies, and I claim no special knowledge on the subject. The seats do run to the short side. I would not use a traditional tree if I were going to build one (which I won't). I would try to find some one who could build one using all we have learned about fitting horses in the last one hundred years. Bowden used to make a charro tree but have dropped it from their catalog. I hope this was of some help to you.

I have a charro saddle tree in my shop, and I´m a bit concerned about about the shape of the bars. They are straight as a board on the bottom side, no rock at all, so the tree has only contact with the horseback at the front and back edges, . So far I have not found a horseback it would fit so I guess it will end up being a wallhanger in my shop. I won´t use it on a horse! In the latest copy of The leathercrafters & saddlers Journal mr Dick Sherer, a known Colorado saddemaker, made the same notice about the bars from a visit in a Mexican saddle tree shop. The tree is well made , but ...........

/ Knut

i wonder if the flat bar is meant to set the saddle behind the wither. on the back behind the scapula movement fore and aft and the occaisonal butterflying also when climbing or desending.i have noticed that dressage riders have their saddles well back and their horses move freely and in apparent comfort . their ears reflecting inner thoughts and

contentment.the shorter bar wont reach the kidneys, the rig is where it should be to avoid forward tree movement.i have a horseman friend who loves them.there sure to be better tree makers in ol mexico mebe the maker reflects the quality[possible] .they have heat issues also to contend with,i had a pix of pancho villa on a big jug headed horse clearly you could see where the saddle set.hard arse'd they might be but they rode mucho miles every day back then and my opinion there must be some merit to the saddle

I have been reading an old book by Frederic Remington. He was a writer and artist in the late 1800's out west. The book is a reprint of Pony Tracks, originally published 1892. He talks a lot about the vaqueros and makes mention of their charro saddles. "Their saddle-trees are very short, and as straight and quite as shapeless as a "saw-buck pack saddle." The horn is as big as a dinner plate, and taken altogether it is inferior to the California tree. It is very hard on horses' backs, and not at all comfortable to a rider who is not accustomed to it." He also comments that the only thing the vaqueros would purchase was the iron rings. They made the rest of the saddles for themselves. Having seen a couple of old charro trees at Don King's museum, I can agree with his assessment of the fit. Fortunately, the top of the tree and the bottom can be independent so a tree can be made to look like an old charro but fit a modern day horse too.

Diane,

I can't help with the usage of the charro saddles but here's some internet sources on charro saddles. Hopefully these will give you some additional information in the photos.

This is a link to photos of some fantastic leather, silver and metal work from museums and private collections in Mexico.

Mexican saddles, bits and spurs - gallery photos

Here's a site that has some information on one of Pancho Villa's parade saddles.

Pancho Villa's Last Saddle

These people sell charro saddles and you may ask them for additional information about their saddle trees.

Jimenez Saddles

Regards,

Ben

Edited by gtwister09