sfcdan

Brass Snaps Currently Being Sold

Within the last year, at one time or another, I've purchased line 24 brass snaps from the three major suppliers advertised on LW. The items I received were solid brass, but be aware if the items have a high shine to it. this particular item is solid brass, but it's been coated with either nickel, or zinc, and re-coated with a shiny brass color on top of it. If you grind the snap, it will reveal solid brass material. The problem I'm having with this snap, is that my customer's polish their brass snaps almost every day. After a few polishes, the chemical wears out the top coat leaving behind the nickel or zinc color, and this chrome color doesn't wear down to the brass metal.

One company actually admitted the snaps are manufactured this way to prevent the dulling color of the brass, and to avoid polishing the item. I learned this after I purchased the snaps and sold 75 items that contained these snaps to a local police department. As a result, a few months later, I had to replace 75 snaps that started out as brass color snaps, and eventually turned chrome color.

Before you purchase snaps, ask the company if they are solid brass, which they will tell you they are, and once you receive the items, polish them for a few minutes with "Brasso." In the mean time, I still need solid brass snaps. If any of you know where I can purchase snaps from a company that has them, besides ZW, OTB, or FNC, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Good luck finding solid brass.

First use a magnet, if it doesn't attract, then use fine steel wool, it's a bit quicker that Brazo.

Been there too ....

Hi Dan,

They do that because they will tarnish just sitting in the box. Good luck finding unplated ones.

Until then, the best thing to do is polish off the plating using 140 polish-o-ray on a sewn wheel. You will need to make a jig to hold just the caps or a shield to protect the leather on an installed snap. Put a screw stud onto a piece of wood to handle the installed snap. Unless you can luck into some old stock somewhere, this may be your only option. How did you fix the ones that were returned?

Art

Within the last year, at one time or another, I've purchased line 24 brass snaps from the three major suppliers advertised on LW. The items I received were solid brass, but be aware if the items have a high shine to it. this particular item is solid brass, but it's been coated with either nickel, or zinc, and re-coated with a shiny brass color on top of it. If you grind the snap, it will reveal solid brass material. The problem I'm having with this snap, is that my customer's polish their brass snaps almost every day. After a few polishes, the chemical wears out the top coat leaving behind the nickel or zinc color, and this chrome color doesn't wear down to the brass metal.

One company actually admitted the snaps are manufactured this way to prevent the dulling color of the brass, and to avoid polishing the item. I learned this after I purchased the snaps and sold 75 items that contained these snaps to a local police department. As a result, a few months later, I had to replace 75 snaps that started out as brass color snaps, and eventually turned chrome color.

Before you purchase snaps, ask the company if they are solid brass, which they will tell you they are, and once you receive the items, polish them for a few minutes with "Brasso." In the mean time, I still need solid brass snaps. If any of you know where I can purchase snaps from a company that has them, besides ZW, OTB, or FNC, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Art thanks for the info.  There's a supplier in South San Francisco called O'baltor & Son's who caters to the shoe industry.  By luck he had 100 old snaps that I purchased and were not plated, but I haven't been able to find any since.  

Daniel. 

Hi Daniel,

Call Dan Preston at Proleptic.net and see if he knows someone who has them. Dan is pretty tied into the shoe repair industry. He publishes a mag called Shop Talk. 207.495.3600.

Art

Art thanks for the info.  There's a supplier in South San Francisco called O'baltor & Son's who caters to the shoe industry.  By luck he had 100 old snaps that I purchased and were not plated, but I haven't been able to find any since.  

Daniel. 

Hi Daniel,

Call Dan Preston at Proleptic.net and see if he knows someone who has them. Dan is pretty tied into the shoe repair industry. He publishes a mag called Shop Talk. 207.495.3600.

Art

You might want to try Ohio Travel Bag in Ohio. 440.498.1955

These snaps were orginally called Durable Dot Snaps... You might try googling on this name for the mfr who can give you a current distributor.

My thought would be to ask for a solid brass snap which is polished and lacquer coated.

Good Luck

Steve