ValleyEquine

Need Custom Rolled Leather Dog Harness

Hello! I am in need of a product that I can't seem to find available in any sort of retail market.

I have a bichon, a small breed of dog with poofy hair. She wears a rolled leather collar, as the rolled leather is better at preventing matting than a flat collar. I'd like to find her a harness made of mostly rolled leather, but they do not seem to exist in the shape I need.

My pup currently wears a nylon harness in the this shape/style which I modified slightly by adding a plastic snap buckle on one of the shoulders for easier on/off.

750909203780C.jpg750909203797C.jpg

Having this shape of harness is important to me be because I feel that from an anatomical perspective all the straps are where they need to be...away from the throat, and lying on the shoulder in a way that does not interfere with movement.

Here's what I have found with rolled leather....

il_570xN.599951622_5qtg.jpg

This is a good option as far as being completely rolled, except at rivets and buckles. However, unless the dog is a 100% fantastic no pull loose leash walker this harness with put pressure on the throat just like a collar. Smaller breeds like my dog tend to be more sensitive to trachea damage so this is a problem.

braided-leather-stepin-dog-harness-3.jpg

This next option is a very good looking harness. Again, it is basically all rolled (although the rolling does not appear to actually be very round.) My main problem with this harness design, frequently called a "step in" harness, is that while they do a good job staying away from the throat, they tend to lay in such a way that is going to inhibit natural shoulder movement, as well as potentially jam up in a dog's armpits, like so...

9803-default-m.jpg

The best option I've found as far as shape goes (not perfect but better) would be something like this...

a_18512rhine_350.jpg

However only the shoulder straps are rolled, so this is not going to be super helpful with the matting issue.

I've considered buying two or more larger rolled leather collars and attempting to rig something up myself. However, I'm just not totally comfortable about that.

I'd like the shoulder straps to be two seperate pieces, like on the first nylon harness (although I'm willing to reconsider if necessary), and I'd also like a buckle on one shoulder strap (I realize this will create a short area of flat leather). I could give or take the buckle adjustments on the the bottom connecting strap that runs between the front legs from chest to belly, but I'd prefer this piece to be rolled if possible. I'd also like the top connecting leather piece to be a little longer, more similar to the first nylon harness, but I understand that this peice probably piece can't be rolled.

Final requirements...I'd like black leather, but a good quality that won't stain my dogs fur. I also need stainless steel hardwear, because nickle plating leaves ugly gray marks on her white coat.

Is something like this possible? If so, any ballparks on cost? FYI, at last measure my dog's girth was 14". I realize that rolling leather is a time consuming skill and that a well made leather harness should last a lifetime. But, I do not have a totally unlimited budget.

Thanks for looking!

Hi, I really enjoyed reading your post. I may be able to assist bearing in mind I'm the ohet side of the Atlantic. Rolled leather I can do for sure, let me know you're interested.

Kind regards

Godfrey

Hi, I am a harness/bridle maker located in Southeast Ohio. I do quite a bit of rolled work, hand stitched into complete round. I could very probably help you with the rolled dog harness.

Regards, Linda.

Guest Evotz

I have exactly the same issue in finding a harness for our dog.  Was there any follow-up and/or solution found? 

I am very interested in finding someone to help me with this but unsure how to connect with either of the two that responded, nor the original poster.

Thank you

The technique of creating a rolled or round strap is known in the saddlery trade as "round reins," which gets its name from its usage in horse reins. Some old school leathercrafters (like me) have a special bench mounted tool that is used to force folded bridle leather into a round shape. In doing so, the stitches are buried inside the leather. It is not trivial, nor cheap to make these round rein straps. But, to look at a perfectly round strap afterwards ..... ah.

Guest Evotz

ValleyEquine 's post is exactly what is happening with our puppy.  She is a Havanese with a double coat of very long, silky, fine hair.  Her size is nearly identical to ValleyEquine's dog.  I have literally tried each of the halters used to illustrate the pros and cons in above post.  Any rubbing causes matting, rolled leather seems to be the least. 

We have tried so many different options to solve the issue, all to no avail.  While funds are not unlimited and cost is a part of the equation we believe that:

• One: Quality work usually is built to last and is a long term investment.
  • Two: We are currently wasting funds on multiple leashes and harnesses that don't work.
  • Three: If it solves the problem we save time and stress in not having to spend hours of painful matt removal. 

How wide should the round straps be? I can try making one at my shop tomorrow.

Guest Evotz

The 'best' partial rolled harness we have used is 1/4 inch in diameter.  This also seems to be proportionally 'correct' for her body size. 

As stated in the original post this harness (4th image) is least matt inducing. But it cuts under the arm pits and the construction has the straps simply folded over and riveted.  Her hair gets caught in the open junction and is pulled out. She hates it!  (Every time I get it out the dog runs away.)

I can sent body measurements and pictures of how the current harness fits.  (Wife wants the harness to be red :) )

I hope we can figure this out. 

On a side note, I am sure the entire Havanese / Coton / Bechon/ and Shitzu dog community will welcome it. There is nothing out there in retail that works for these long haired dogs.  

Thank you for considering

Guest Evotz

Just for reference 

this is the partially round leash - works well in terms of matt formation but the dog hates wearing due to pulled hair and restricted motion:

You can see that I have wrapped the ends with plastic to try stopping the hair pull but it cuts her under the arm pits  

this is a step in leash that works (fit and ease of placement) the best but it generates huge matts:

How it connects

Difference in chest and neck strap separation that allows full walking motion:

What I think could work is to mimic the single piece harness with the single attachment point but in rolled leather. The interconnecting piece on the leather harness is way too short and I am not sure it is necessary. If the new construction is such that front and chest strap are sized such that it rests appropriately on the body. 

I will experiment by removing the connecting strap to see if my theory works in terms of stability but it think the loops are too small. 

I actually ended up ditching the harness totally. Really worked with my pup to improve loose leash walking, and use a Halti style headcollar in situations I know my pup is going to be too excited/stimulated to heel properly.

Also, is there a way to edit my original post where the photos dissapeared?

5 hours ago, ValleyEquine said:

Also, is there a way to edit my original post where the photos dissapeared?

You should be able to edit your post. Are you or aren't you able to edit it? If not, just post new photos in your reply.

Some websites frown on hotlinking to their copyrighted images.

Guest Evotz

Not sure how I can add photos as a guest.  But I did take our current harness and removed the cross piece at the chest. Made by DogLine (called soft rolled leather harness). It helped but the straps are, in my opinion, too short and the junction hits her right on top of the shoulder joint.  The harness made by TrePonti fits much better and the attachment points are much higher on her body but the width and material creates massive matts.  If I could get the size and design of the angle structure in the TrePonti (size 3) constructed in rolled leather it might be perfect.  

If anyone is interested in helping I can provide an email (not sure of forum rules on this) to expedite images and measurement transfer. 

On 9/22/2016 at 9:59 PM, Wizcrafts said:

The technique of creating a rolled or round strap is known in the saddlery trade as "round reins," which gets its name from its usage in horse reins. Some old school leathercrafters (like me) have a special bench mounted tool that is used to force folded bridle leather into a round shape. In doing so, the stitches are buried inside the leather. It is not trivial, nor cheap to make these round rein straps. But, to look at a perfectly round strap afterwards ..... ah.

I would love a quote on a 18" (sized from start of leather (not including buckle) to the hold at which her current collars are buckled. I'd love a saddle tan with brass hardware. Also can you do this as a martingale? 

Thanks in advance! 

Kelly

10 hours ago, VukerCanine said:

I would love a quote on a 18" (sized from start of leather (not including buckle) to the hold at which her current collars are buckled. I'd love a saddle tan with brass hardware. Also can you do this as a martingale? 

Thanks in advance! 

Kelly

I don't know what "a Martingale" means. Would you care to elaborate? I am a general category leather maker. I don't specialize in horse tack.

A martingale can be done with another piece of leather or usually with a brass chain. I'll attach a couple of photos.

blk martingale rolled leather.jpg

rolled leather dog collar

Edited by Wizcrafts
Fixed bad quote of a reply I did not make

26 minutes ago, VukerCanine said:

A martingale can be done with another piece of leather or usually with a brass chain. I'll attach a couple of photos.

blk martingale rolled leather.jpg

rolled leather dog collar

I can probably make that type of collar. It won't be cheap or be done quickly. send my an email or PM to discuss the details.

2 hours ago, Guest Dog collar said:

Where can I buy one of the collars?

Find a leathercrafter who does this work and hire him or her to make the collar. You can advertise what you want made in this section of the forum. Please start a new topic for your job request. Note, that all guest posts must wait to be approved before becoming visible. Also, unless you become a member of Leatherworker.net, you cannot use our email or private message system. You will have to post your contact info in a publicly viewable manner.