Sign in to follow this  
Tkleather1

Dyeing Letters So It Doesnt Run

I have a purse that has a brand tooled in with the floral carving. In the past I have dyed the lettering and let set overnight buff with a peice of trimmed sheepskin. but the problem is when I apply the neatlac it lifts the dye and causes the lettering to be blotchy and the rest of the piece to become muddy. I have been using Fiebings Pro dye. I am curious if I put tankote down first will it help with the lifting or make it worse.

So here is my question, How do you all dye your lettering and what finish do you use that will not left the dye. If I dont get a good answer I will not dye the lettering on this job but maybe just antique instead. I dont want to sound like a complete newbie here but I see a lot of you guys that dont have any trouble with this, and this is something that I have fought from day one.

Thanks in advance and I will sit back and listen.

Tim

TK-Leather

Tim,

I dye lettering with black Sharpie markers. I dye before I oil, and haven't had a finish lift it yet. I'd try it on a scrap of your leather to make sure, but it works for me.

Bruce do you let it set and then buff the heck out of it before you oil?