shannonc

How To Price Used Machines

I have been a lurker for most of the time that I have been on the forum but wasnt too sure where to post this. I am looking for some help in pricing items I have never used. When I started leather work I bought out my father for all his equipment in a total lump sum. There are a few things that never get used and not sure how to price them to sell. I have looked online for other models that are similar but am having trouble. The main thing is a Fipi f36 clicker. Just wondering what people thought I should price something like this with 100 dyes for chap making? Sorry if I put this in the wrong spot.

If it were me I would sell the Dies separately from the clicker. I can't help on the pricing... it depends on the condition of the machine and the price a buyer is willing to pay.

Okay thanks! May I ask why I should sell the dyes seperatly? Do you think I would get a better price?

in my opinion you would sell them faster individually... or in small sets. It's been my experience that most people expect a deal when you sell in a lot like that. Also someone interested in the press may not want to have to deal with 100 chap dies... especially if they plan on doing holsters or or wallets...

Your first hurdle is you are in Canda ,thats going to complicate things a bit . Pictures would help alot . Depending on the quality of the dies to have one made is going to run from 60.00 and up . So thats a chunk of money there . Pictures is going to be the key to sucess here ,that and doing your homework and research on value in the used market . Good Luck . Bill

The above post is good advice. However, what someone wants to pay is not the question, the Question is: what is a market value on these items. There are a lot of people on this site that seem to feel if you are on it, you owe it to them to sell whatever to them for what they can afford. If an item is worth say $1000.00 then the question is how bad do you want to sell it. If you are willing to take $15.00 for it, It will sell quickly. I would suggest you contact a dealer and see what they cost new and then discount them for age and condition. A good dealer will give you some ideas. HTH Ken

Age and Condition mean a lot in any piece of used equipment. Voltage can also be a serious factor. If you clean it up and demo it on YouTube, and you guarantee it, you will get the best price. I also believe you will get a better price breaking the dies from the clicker and selling the dies separately and not as a lot. You will probably get up to $25 for some of the dies, but a lot less for others, and as it always is, you won't be able to give some away for shipping.

Art

I would price the clicker at 100 dollars. I'm also interested in it so let me know. Just kidding of course but I would agree that selling the machine separate from the dies is your best bet otherwise your either limiting your market to just to those who make or want to make chaps, I certainly wouldn't consider buying it for my holster business if I had to buy 100 dies I didn't have a use for unless it was a really good deal in which case I still wouldn't want the dies so you may as well have kept them and sold them and made more money.

I would seriously be interested in the clicker however if you are in Canada that would probably make that un feasible.

Thanks so much everyone! I took your advice and have seperated the clicker and the dyes and have had alot of interest!