Ian

The Future Of Leather

I read an arcticle about the top 10 industries which are expected to dissapear in the US. Leather and leather products was number 2.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/10-american-industries-that-will-be-destroyed-in-the-next-decade-185519670.html

This will affect the leather craftsman in a big way. At present we have a couple of good options for American veg tanned leather and a few more for Mexican leather. These tanneries don't rely of the small craftsman who buys a half dozen sides a year - they wouldn't stay in business. Their principal customers are manufacturers of finished leather goods. As those industries disappear from our shores, the tanneries will have to rely on exporting their hides to Asia. So, like every other thing, it will be a matter of time before they are tanning all leather in Asia, and what we will be able to purchase will be imported Asian hides, if they even think it's worth while supplying such a small market vs factories that use thousands of sides a day..

American veg tanners have had a bit of an advantage in that veg tanning is a lot more time consuming than chrome tanning. The Asian industries look for fast production times. Much of the chrome tanned leather for auto upholstery and garments is tanned in Asia now and thousands of container loads of hides from American slaughterhouses are shipped over. Some are returned, once tanned, for dying and finishing here, but the majority are finished and used in Asia, and we import the finished products. American chrome tanners supply much of the high end American manufacturers, but once those are gone, will it be feasible for any of them to stay in business? Will it even be feasible for Mexican tanneries to stay in business?

While some industry may return to the US, I doubt that leather tanning will be one. The cost of compliance with enviromental regs is too high. In Asia, there are few regs and the waste is just dumped into rivers and oceans.

As our industry dissapears, it is not a simple matter to bring it back. The skills involved dissapear as well. Technitians who have developed their skills over a lifetime retire and are not replaced. You don't just train someonbe who can oversee a huge tannery operation overnight.

I just can't figure out what Americans will be DOING in 20 years. Not everyone is cut out for work in a cubicle, pitching financial and medical services. All I can say is , thank God I'll probably be gone in 10 years and won't have to see what has become of everything that used to make us interesting and diverse.

I hope that they are wrong, but things are changing in a big way. I used to get leather by the side, but now I have to buy a bundle from the same company. -- Tex

Interesting article

Usually small niche markets survive with specialized goods or quality products.

It would be devastating to see a company like Horween get affected or like you said leather from the high quality veg tanneries (W&C, Hermann Oak)

Most crappy high volume low quality products come from you know where and serves the masses. Cheap crap made with slave labour.

Hopefully the good domestic guys stay afloat and allow the custom makers keep up their work for the niches they serve.