HiddenStar

Gum Tragacanth On Leather Handle?

Hi leather experts,

I have recently bought a bag with leather straps as handles. I noticed that the handles have a raw underside (see picture) which is a little 'furry' and I was wondering if it's a good idea to use a Gum Tragacanth product (eg.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seiwa-Leathercraft-Tragacanth-Leather-Burnishing-Gum-100ml-Clear-/121191937833?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c379a3729) on the raw side to smoothen/coat it.

Since the handle will be exposed to alot of twisting and stretching due to normal day to day carrying of the bag, is it advisable to use the gum? Will it 'harden' the strap a little?

Thanks in advance :)

LeatherHandle.jpg

I use gum tragacanth on the back of straps from time-to-time and have had no problem, you might want to try sanding the back of the strap first it may give you what you want. It will be a little tough since the strap is already attached, gum trag works best when you apply it then burnish the back of the strap with a glass burnisher. Whichever you decide on I would try it on a piece of scrap first. I haven't noticed any detectable hardening on straps that have been smoothed.

Chief

Ah I see, thanks for the reply Chief :)

I was wondering... if I leave my strap raw and not burnished, will it spoil faster as the raw side will be in contact with moisture/oil from the hands?

Leather will wear regardless, however, I think the difference between leaving it raw and burnishing it will be slight the main difference is in the aesthtics. The raw should last for many years, and it looks more rustic, the burnished will last for many years and look a little more "dressed". Just my opinion, others probably have better ideas than I. I normally do this on the back of instrument straps and the purpose is when the customer wants a "slick" surface so it won't drag on their shirt or blouse and don't wan't to pay the extra for me to make them a lined strap. Some of that depends on playing styles, many players on slide the instrument around much, some do. I use Hermann Oak and that back is always tighter than what you see on some of the imported hides and hides that haven't been finished well. I also split my own straps so that the back is very smooth, then I normally sand them as well. Only a few have had me burnish the back for them.

Chief