RawhideLeather

Anyone Here Use A Woodworker's Gouge For Leather?

Do any of you use a quality woodworkers gouge for a straight line gouge instead of the adjustable gouges commonly found for leatherworking? I have the Osborne adjustable V-gouge and U-gouge but the cheap steel used in these tools is very poor and they are almost impossible to sharpen correctly. Seems to be mostly junk to me. They also are not very sharp at all when new. I'd obviously have to be careful with the depth of the cut with a woodworker's gouge or maybe make a jig or something to control it. Which brand would you recommend? I was thinking of the Flexcut with the interchangeable blades???

Thanks,

Richard

Haven't tried it- but I DO use woodworking chisels! I found 3 new ones in a tool box, stropped them a few times, and MAN they are the best thing for skiving!!!

I have a tandy skiver as well as my trusty head knife- but the chisel beats them all to heck. I can get 16 oz or 4 oz. leather down to a feather edge in 2-3 passes!

pete

I've never tried one but it's a good idea. Assuming it's sharp it should work just fine. I use Bob Douglas' gouges. They are the best I've ever used. A little pricey, but you get what you pay for.One of the reasons I like them is that the way they're made you have some depth control, allowing you to be consistent across the entire length of the groove. They are a remake of an Osborne or Gomph design which is no longer made. On thin leather I use a #3 stitching groover....that works well also. And then of course I use French skivers to remove the shoulders of the groove. I won't even pick up an adjustable groover now....

Happy Holidays!

Bobby

I have an unmarked gouge that I suspect is a McMillen by the handle anyway. It is a scoop type gouge and the end looks somewhat like a small woodworkers's gouge. It makes a nice elongated half-rounded gouge. In cross section it tapers up without leaving sharp edges or shoulders like a French edger or the saddle makers gouges.

I've never tried one but it's a good idea. Assuming it's sharp it should work just fine. I use Bob Douglas' gouges. They are the best I've ever used. A little pricey, but you get what you pay for.One of the reasons I like them is that the way they're made you have some depth control, allowing you to be consistent across the entire length of the groove. They are a remake of an Osborne or Gomph design which is no longer made. On thin leather I use a #3 stitching groover....that works well also. And then of course I use French skivers to remove the shoulders of the groove. I won't even pick up an adjustable groover now....

Happy Holidays!

Bobby

Hey Bob, I appreciate the reply. Would it be too much trouble to post a pic of the Bob Douglas gouge when you get some free time? I would prefer something with some depth control so that sounds like it might work best for me. How hard is it to maintain an edge - just occasional stropping? Is it easy to resharpen the entire blade if you have too? Last question, how much do they run?

I agree, you usually get what you pay for so I don't mind paying top dollar for high quality tools. I would prefer a V-groove I think, if he makes them, but could make do with a wider U-groove as well. I'm constantly having to groove a straight line half the thickness of 12 oz. skirting that's been firmed up (holstered W&C) so that's about a 3/32" deep groove in some pretty tough leather. Didn't know you could get a custom made one from Bob Douglas that's adjustable. Sounds great.

Bruce, thanks for your reply.

Merry Christmas,

Richard

Edited by RawhideLeather

I have several different woodworking chisels/gouges made by Flexcut and I have been extremely happy with them and they are only around $15 to $20. I have several v and u leather gouges that do not work near as good.

I have several different woodworking chisels/gouges made by Flexcut and I have been extremely happy with them and they are only around $15 to $20. I have several v and u leather gouges that do not work near as good.

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any problem achieving a pretty consistent depth of cut on a straight gouge that's several inches long and pretty deep? Do you just freehand/eyeball it?

I have not had any problems. Before I use them I pick up a small piece of scrap to make a pass so I get the feel before using each time. That way I have a feel before I start and I know if I need to strop it. Also, I usually cut lightly the first pass and if needed I make a second pass to go a little deeper. They are very sharp and would not take much to cut through if not careful.