raysouth

Manual Embossing Machine Made By Amish

I suppose it is time for me to cry, "UNCLE", and say, I give up, trying to obtain information about the neat embossing machine made by Amish Folk in New York. No matter how hard I try, I cannot seem to find anyone that can give me any information about the machine. Frustrating to find something that would do what you would like to do and then not be able to get info about machine, specs, capabilities, price, etc.

Feel like they must be made on another planet and all I can do is sit and cry. lol.

Another operation I would like to have done but Tippmann, Tandy machines would not do what I had hoped to do.

Nobody seems to own one of these other than one gent here on the site but he also does not have the info I would like to have. Has been as helpful as he could be and appreciate his kindness.

Oh well, I'll get out my crying towel and forget this project. Sure I am not the first to have such a problem. ckl.

God Bless Everyone.

Ray

Ray You did have the correct address.as I stated I had to give up doing business with him and his brother because they are so hard to get a hold of.I will tell you that if you continue to write to them that they will get back with you eventually.They do make some very nice stuff.You have my # feel free to give me a call.Larry

HOOOOORRRRAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally got the embosser thing moving in the right direction. Hope to have in hand in near future and happy that I was able to hang in there.

Anxious to get it going in the shop.

Anyone needing information about it, drop me a line.

Ray

I have entertained the ideal of finding the wringers on an old wringer washing machine and trying to build one or perhaps an old mop wringer or chamois wringer like they used when there were real gas filling stations around. Remember that when man originally started making things out of the hides of things he had killed,he couldn't just run down to Tandy and buy a tool or stamp. Someone made all the things we now take for granted and made them by hand and ingenuity. The problem I see with embossing is the cost of the plates. I guess they could be made by yourself by starting with a wooden mold and then casting into metal,but that would require a lot of tools and time not to mention knowing and having the skill to do it without a forge. If time is all you have along with minimum cash-----be creative---use your hands and noggin.

I'm going to add to my last comment that I used to make wallets with some people who had made their embossing press using two heavy rectangular squares of steel with a large worm type screw thru them. You just layed your cased leather on the bottom slab of steel,put the plate on top of the leather and screwed the top slab of steel down tight onto the bottom one. Very similar to the early printing presses. These are very easy to build and there is no end to the variety of materials you could use to build one. While not fast they work well and it would depend on the size of the leather you are embossing what size press to build. When I do use an embossing stamp I use just a plain old C-clamp on a hard surface to transfer the image especially on the new 3D stamps,but as I said earlier I'm not a big fan of embossing and since most people don't know the difference between handtooling and embossing it has created difficulty getting a fair price for something you have spent hours creating by hand as opposed to stamping it out in 10 minutes.

Hi there Ray.

Is this the kind of thing that you are after???

post-2565-0-80050400-1416388019_thumb.jp post-2565-0-22792800-1416388073_thumb.jp

I put together this machine and its a jewellers rolling mill with a embossing roller instead of the normal flat top roller. Fully interchangeable by undoing the top bolts and dismantling the machine a little to get the roller out.

Makes a very beautiful basket weave pattern.

Cheers

Trevor

Way Down Under

Embossing Machine - Great topic!

Sounds very interesting, this embossing machine made by the Amish. I think the Tandy machines are interesting and do shop Ebay now and then for old ones. Haven't purchased one yet, but I do drool over the possibilities. The Clicker machines are neat too! This company makes some pretty awesome equipment still - for a very high price that I cannot afford. Still, I like to see what is available!

I find any kind on embossing machine intriguing. I have been playing with all kinds if ideas to make my own embossed items. A couple months back, I got one of those cuddlebug embosser machines, bought at Wallymart. It does a decent job of cutting out my leather shapes for sewing. It's just thinner, supple leather, but it works for me. I'm also playing with embossing designs into the leather using the cuttlebug and whatever I can get my hands on for patterns. The raw leather (no coating) seems to emboss the best.

This is just the beginning though, and I keep coming back to the embossing idea for lots of products I'd like to make and have not yet designed. I keep a sketchbook of my ideas. Someday my cuttlebug machine will get sold for another, I'm sure of that! For now though, it is fun.