Willis7737

Acrylic Vs. Colored Stain

First off I just wanted to say that I haven't been posting very long and already I can tell this is a very helpful and supportive community of leather workers. Just wanted to say thanks all around because that in itself is amazing!

You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

Anyways I have a question. I am going to be making some bracelets here in the near future and am going to be tooling a few flowers into them.

What I want to do is put a few flowers on them and give just the flowers some color. Now I know that you can use acrylic paint on them or you can use stain (...? is that correct?)

Does anyone here have an opinion on which works better in terms of the life of the item and being cost effective? I have some seen some belts with acrylic paint online recently and it looked AWFUL. Now obviously this doesn't mean that all acrylic on leather looks bad, but I was hoping to get someone's opinion on the matter before I go out and spend some $$$.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Will

Hi Will. Acrylics will do just fine if, 1 you can color inside the lines, lol and two you cut the paint with water. If I were going to do them I'd either suntan the leather or dye (stain) it first and then use your acrylics on the flowers. Put a final coat of finish on all of it. So for me the steps would be:

1. Put leather in the sun (free) Yes it really changes the color just like your skin.

2. Paint the flowers with acrylic leather paint cut with water like eco-flo or cova

3. Burnish the edges (see Bobby Parks tutorial on this under 'how do I do that')

4. after they dry well, I'd wait at least overnight, put mop-n-glo over everything, cut 50/50 with water. Works like resolene but cheaper. That would be the cheapest way to start out doin g this and still have a nice looking product. Cheryl

I want you to go to Peter Main website: http://petermain.com/

Prepare to be amazed and know that Peter's coloring/stain work is done with solvent based stain.

ferg

1347660692[/url]' post='264425']

First off I just wanted to say that I haven't been posting very long and already I can tell this is a very helpful and supportive community of leather workers. Just wanted to say thanks all around because that in itself is amazing!

You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

Anyways I have a question. I am going to be making some bracelets here in the near future and am going to be tooling a few flowers into them.

What I want to do is put a few flowers on them and give just the flowers some color. Now I know that you can use acrylic paint on them or you can use stain (...? is that correct?)

Does anyone here have an opinion on which works better in terms of the life of the item and being cost effective? I have some seen some belts with acrylic paint online recently and it looked AWFUL. Now obviously this doesn't mean that all acrylic on leather looks bad, but I was hoping to get someone's opinion on the matter before I go out and spend some $$.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Will

Thanks everyone! I think this will help my decision.

I appreciate the step by step Cheryl, and the attention to being cost effective.

And I checked out that webstie Ferg, and it's hard to believe what he has done. His pieces are AMAZING.

You're quite welcome. Cheryl