Sign in to follow this  

Smokeout seat minimalized

A customer called Donny at Sucker Punch this week and ordered a custom seat....He wanted one like the Smokeout seat that I did earlier this year....except he wanted me to omit the center art work.... I thought it sounded strange, but it actually looks pretty good, I think.

Any and all feedback welcomed.

Dave

here is a photo of the Smokeout and the new one also.

IMG_0646.JPG

IMG_0893.JPG

IMG_0894.JPG

post-327-1197316154_thumb.jpg

post-327-1197316183_thumb.jpg

post-327-1197316193_thumb.jpg

Very nice seat. Just curious if you have ever tried making a slit instead of a hole to do you edge braiding? I would gather that you do the hole because it is less time consuming. your seats are great!

Dave, looks great as always! Love to look at your work for inspiration.

Steve

Skip,

The slit isn't really practical due to the amount of "pull" that I put on the lacing. A slit would be far too apt to tear.

Dave

Johnny,

I think I will do something very similar as far as color goes.

Dave

Dave, that seat looks great. Are you going to do it in the same colors?

Johnny

I have to say I really like the plainer new seat even better than the tooled seat. I like it lighter, too. Very refined looking and beautiful workmanship.

I really liked the art on the Smokeout 8 seat, but I am really pleased with the plain version also. I hesitate to give a color preference because I have come to really appreciate the look of un-dyed plain leather.

Dave

I really liked the art on the Smokeout 8 seat, but I am really pleased with the plain version also. I hesitate to give a color preference because I have come to really appreciate the look of un-dyed plain leather.

Dave

Maybe a nice oil and wax finish, then? I like how the lacing stands out on the light leather. Shame to lose the contrast to a dark dye.

I would love to do just a wax finish and let the sun do the rest, but the customer ordered "the Smokeout seat with a plain center"....So I guess that pretty well decides it for me.

Dave

I like the elegance of the plain one too.... when i saw it, I immediately thought to myself... maybe I should go with an elegant look for my seats when i redo them.....

The white lace job you did on the plain one.... what is that? is that the Mexican basket weave? Did you lace the white through the brown or through the same holes the brown was laced through?

Hey Wolf,

The "white" lace is natural kangaroo- 1/4" wide through 1/8" holes. The brown lace is brown calf skin 1/8" wide through 3/32" holes and is laced through it's own set of holes.

The kangaroo lace is basketweave, the brown lace is single loop or single cordovan.

Glad you like it.

Dave

Dave,

Simply amazing work, Great lettering and fit and finish! WOW! Thanks so much for posting.

Dave , i love all you seats. I think one could see your work and know it's yours. I thought the smokeout seat had a great dye job on it but seeing this one with no dye...Well it just rocks, to bad you can't just spray some finish on there. Again Nice Freakin Job !!!!

Here they are finished.

The Smokeout seat has a lot less black on it than the original did.....I like that.....the less black the better.

The second seat is a piece of old Sucker Punch artwork that a customer ordered from SPS East.

IMG_0900.JPG

IMG_0906.JPG

IMG_0908.JPG

IMG_0901.JPG

IMG_0903.JPG

IMG_0904.JPG

IMG_0905.JPG

post-327-1197833640_thumb.jpg

post-327-1197833654_thumb.jpg

post-327-1197833663_thumb.jpg

post-327-1197833678_thumb.jpg

post-327-1197833690_thumb.jpg

post-327-1197833700_thumb.jpg

post-327-1197833712_thumb.jpg

Edited by David

Absolutely outstanding! I have yet to see any of your seats that weren't great pieces.

Beautiful as always David, I enjoy looking at your work each time you post new pics. Thanks

Ken