The Slack Jaw

Best "finishing" For Belts And Guitar Straps

Long time reader, first time writer. I have been working on leather for awhile now but I'm having trouble with my belts and my guitar straps. They seem to come out stiffer than I would like. I'm oiling them with neatsfoot and using fiebings oil based dyes. I want them to be more "supple" and flexible. (Especially my guitar straps. Frankly I can deal with stiff belts.) any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Slack I use conditioner when everything is finished, either plain Ole Vaseline or plain ole VT. Bag Balm (only because I live here and that's what they sell, any bag balm should do). I put a bunch the end of the strap, then use a hair dryer to liquefy it and rub it in by hand, starting at one end and using my fingers to fold the strap over probably every 1/2" with the rubbing. I always have a lot left on the surface but I hang it over something with middle at the top and let that leather just soak it up (Hey bag balm was good for the cow when it was alive, still is when it's leather). Couple times a day I try and rub the excess in using the same process as the first time. Then when it has to leave the house I take a t-shirt and buff it and get the excess off. Gives it such a nice, mellow shine and just drapes at that point, as much from using your hands on it as the conditioner. It doesn't matter what weight you're working with, it'll drape. And they also sell fancy expensive conditioners if you want to try one of those :-) Cheryl

Thank you so much! I'll be giving that a try!

You're quite welcome. Cheryl