Marietje

How To Make Batwing Chaps More Supple?

During my holiday in Mexico I've bought a couple of working batwing chaps, thick leather (4mm). The leather is quite stiff and nor comfortable to wear. I've oiled with neatsfoot oil twice, but it does not help much. I'm afraid to oil more as it might saturate/drench the leather too much?

I know it works best just to wear them, but they are just not comfortable enough to wear at all now, they are so stiff it even hurts.

Any advice?

You will have to have a friend to help you, . . . a strong friend, . . . and it is WORK.

Lay them out flat, . . . face down, . . . on a flooring surface, . . . and put on knee pads, . . . you are going to be down there for a good couple of hours.

You need ideally, . . . steel rods about 20 mm in diameter, . . . very little over that, . . . wood will work, . . . but it is just harder to manage.

Start at the bottom, . . . and litterally "roll" the chaps over the steel or wood rod. Don't get in a hurry, . . . make sure the roll is tight from end to end, like the little drawing.

You'll have to do the length of both, the width of both, then you wil probably have to turn them over so they are face up and do it all again.

They will be appreciably more flexible if you do this, . . . but I won't try to soften it up, . . . it is work, and your hands and thumbs will be very tired once you get done.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-75033100-1363261513_thumb.jp

thanks Dwight, I will go for it! I have two strongs horses, so should be able to manage a pair of chaps... LOL

I'm sure my dad has a steel rod like that.

An old horseman friend of mine told me he put his in a clothes dryer and just set it on tumble, and tumbled them for an hour of so. He said that really "took the startch out of them".

Bob

Bob, but what about the temperature?

Just tumble no heat.

Lexol NF, lots of it applied to both sides. Taper off on amount as you approach edges so they will retain shape & not get 'raggy'. What you are experiencing is like the old days when tanned but not finished leather was what was available and people bought the leather and finished it or 'curried' it with their own formulas for the particular use that was at hand. This is what is now accomplished by the various fat liquoring etc kinds of finishes. In Mexico, you still run across quite a bit of leather that is just tanned and has not been very well 'finished'