Dirtdigger

Antiquing Without Antiquing Paste. Is It Possible?

Hey there!

I have been searching for about a week now for a place to get antiquing paste, but with no luck.

I have asked couple of european shops if they ship Febings paste to my country (Finland) but they say it's not possible since it cant be shipped by air and they dont want ship any other way.

I have E-mailed to Fiebings directly if they could ship here or direct me to someone who will, but with no answer.

I'm starting to think theres no way getting that stuff here, so is there any way to get antiqued looking finish on the leather without these pastes?

I can get leather dye, if that's any help?

Thank you!

With my experience, you must have a product that will mask the areas of the piece you do not want the "Antique" finish to penetrate. Dye stains will simply reduce the resistance you have applied and make the piece appear blotchy.

My suggestion would be to use an Air Brush to apply your stain. With practice you can do amazing things, even some antiquing.

ferg

Hey there!

I have been searching for about a week now for a place to get antiquing paste, but with no luck.

I have asked couple of european shops if they ship Febings paste to my country (Finland) but they say it's not possible since it cant be shipped by air and they dont want ship any other way.

I have E-mailed to Fiebings directly if they could ship here or direct me to someone who will, but with no answer.

I'm starting to think theres no way getting that stuff here, so is there any way to get antiqued looking finish on the leather without these pastes?

Thank you!

Hey there!

Thank you!

Terve ! Have you tried here ? : www.tjaderlader.se/

/ Knut

Thank you 50years of leather! I actually have an airbrush allready in my shelf and i'm quite handy with it, so i think i might give it a try.

And Oldtimer thats a great link, thank you for that!

Sadly my Swedish is really bad so i dont know what those texts mean. I have to ask help from a friend whos Swedish is way better. Do you know if they will ship to Finland?

I found couple of Fiebings products on there site but not the Antiquing paste.

Could someone tell me how does the Antique stain differs from the Paste? Could i use it instead of the paste or is there totally different use for it?

Thank you again!

You might also try using plain old paste shoe polish. Probably mix in a little rubbing alcohol to soften it up and extend the working time. Try this on a piece of scrap!!

Dan

Thank you dbusarow! That shoepolish is a great idea! I will buy something cheap and try on that first.

But i'm still littlebit confused on that fiebings paste vs. stain antiques?

Thank you 50years of leather! I actually have an airbrush allready in my shelf and i'm quite handy with it, so i think i might give it a try.

And Oldtimer thats a great link, thank you for that!

Sadly my Swedish is really bad so i dont know what those texts mean. I have to ask help from a friend whos Swedish is way better. Do you know if they will ship to Finland?

I found couple of Fiebings products on there site but not the Antiquing paste.

Could someone tell me how does the Antique stain differs from the Paste? Could i use it instead of the paste or is there totally different use for it?

Thank you again!

I really don´t know if they will ship to Finland,but you can always ask them.

Also you might try www.laederiet.dk

/ Knut

Edited by oldtimer

I have not used the paste but, I don't really care for the Eco-Flo gel antique. For me it doesn't stay in the crevices well. The shoe polish sounds like a good idea. ..Why can't it be shipped?? I could purchase some for you and you could pay me by Paypal. My husband has shipped many things across the ocean and also to Finland. Just an idea.

Thank you dbusarow! That shoepolish is a great idea! I will buy something cheap and try on that first.

But i'm still littlebit confused on that fiebings paste vs. stain antiques?

I really don´t know if they will ship to Finland,but you can always ask them.

Also you might try www.laederiet.dk

/ Knut

Thank you again Oldtimer! Another great link! It seems i need to learn Swedish to find all the good stuff:)

I will E-mail them after my summer holiday and ask about the shipping. Or if my holiday trip to Norway is going faster than planned i might have a detour on the way back and go on to the Jädraås myself.

I have not used the paste but, I don't really care for the Eco-Flo gel antique. For me it doesn't stay in the crevices well. The shoe polish sounds like a good idea. ..Why can't it be shipped?? I could purchase some for you and you could pay me by Paypal. My husband has shipped many things across the ocean and also to Finland. Just an idea.

I will definately try on that shoepolish! Its easily available, even here.

I think the thing with shipping is that if those Fiebings products are flammable as i think they are, theyre not allowed in air cargo and needs to be shipped by land/sea. Thing that i cant understand is why all the companies dont want to ship anyway other than air?

Benlilly that offer of yours is really awesome, and if i cant get these shoepolish tryouts to work and Swedish company dont ship to me, i will definately get back to you on that!

Thank you again Oldtimer! Another great link! It seems i need to learn Swedish to find all the good stuff:)

I will E-mail them after my summer holiday and ask about the shipping. Or if my holiday trip to Norway is going faster than planned i might have a detour on the way back and go on to the Jädraås myself.

Terve! If you are going to Norway you might try this : www.skinnlaaven.no/shop/

/ Knut

Terve! If you are going to Norway you might try this : www.skinnlaaven.no/shop/

/ Knut

Thats great! Thank you again Oldtimer!

Another great find in swedish, i really should of been awake in swedish classes in school :)

Funny thing that this Skinlaven or Tjader lader doesnt have english option on there web site. Ive spent many hours in the web trying to find a shop like these two.

This Honefoss is on our planned route on our way back, but i'm not sure if we have enough time to go as far as we have planned? Travelling in Norway is sometimes quite slow, theres so much to see everywhere you go.

Edited by Dirtdigger

Hi

Not sure if its customs in Finland stopping the shipping or sellers saying they don't.

But these guys air post stuff to me in australia. http://www.goodsjapan.jp/servlet/StoreFront and I have got some of the dark blue antique paste and its seems okl

Natalie

Hi

Not sure if its customs in Finland stopping the shipping or sellers saying they don't.

But these guys air post stuff to me in australia. http://www.goodsjapa...vlet/StoreFront and I have got some of the dark blue antique paste and its seems okl

Natalie

Their antique paste made by Craftsha is water based so it's okay to ship by air.

Clair

All companies ive asked are located inside EU so the customs shouldnt be the problem.

Ive looked Eco flo antiques (as they are waterbased and should be possible to ship through air) but what i can see in videos and pictures it seems the finishing isnt as nice as it is after using Fiebings paste? Dont know if thats just me, or is it so?

In Tjader lader web site there is Fiebings Antique stain, can it be used to get similar finishing as you get with there paste? Or is this stain more like dye thats used to get even coverage over the whole piece?

Am I getting this right. Instead of using antiqueing paste you are going to apply shoe polish? Then I assume you would have to put on a sealer after applying it correct? Would shoe polish work instead of dyeing?