JC Javelle

Al Stohlman Encylopedia Of Saddle Making Vol. 1-3

Are the Al Stohlman Encyclopedias of Saddle Making good books? Are they detailed? Are they worth the expense (my price is 60.00 ea through Tandys)? Are there better books on the subject? I find 180.00 plus quite the investment for three books. I want to make sure they are worth it before I nosedive.

:bike:

Thank you,

Jessica

Edited by JC Javelle

i have the set and they are very detailed, wish they could have had time to do the others they had planned to do. They have extra stuff in the back on making saddle trees and tie down trees for making saddles, plus other niffy tricks and thngs .i have them loaned out right now.

kim

Are the Al Stohlman Encyclopedias of Saddle Making good books? Are they detailed? Are they worth the expense (my price is 60.00 ea through Tandys)? Are there better books on the subject? I find 180.00 plus quite the investment for three books. I want to make sure they are worth it before I nosedive.

:bike:

Thank you,

Jessica

IMO they are the best saddle making books. They cover pattern making and have lots of drawings and pictures and text that covers ever thing from start to finish. Much better than any of the other books i have seen or bought over the years.

Occasionally, Tandy will run a sale on them for (about) half price. Or they send out some 1/2 off coupons some times too. Thats how ive bought the 2 i have.

Be patient. Last August, right here on L/W, volume 1 & 3 advertised for $65. OBO.

I assume gone now. I pd. $77+ shipping for all three last year on E-Bay.

Good hunting.

what about Dusty Johnson's Saddlemaking Construction & Repair Techniques Set (Book, DVD, & Pattern Pack) ? Is this a good one too as I can't afford the Stohlman's atm..

thanks

There are a few pinned topics at the top of the Saddle Trade Resources forum under saddles and tack here. http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showforum=65 There a number of saddle makers are discussing which books they like best and why, and what you can get out of the different books. Well worth a read.