alexitbe

Hello And Ofcourse A Question... ;)

My name is Alex and I have suddenly found myself starting this new hobby...Am not sure how that happened, but it started with archery... :)

I am going to a pick- up a Singer patcher next week and hope it will be ok for most jobs. Although I hear they mark the leather.. i can live with that for now. I will do some quivers and bags with that. Probably using 8-10 oz leather.

However, I also wish to try making leather gloves... I have read that lamb nappa is a good leather to use. However, I have been told that I need a special sewing machine for that. A sewing machine that sews really close to the edge of the fabric. So I am earching ebay ofcourse and have found this.

Is this sort fo machine I need? It says that it has curved needles and no further useful information is added..

$_57.JPG

To put it into context. The guy selling it is selling several different pieces of leather working equipment including an Adler 30k. I guessed that this machine was also for leather.

Thanks

Alex

Edited by alexitbe

I have done some further searching around and it would seem like its a shoemakers double sewing machine...

or atleast that is the direct translation of it into English

It might be fun to have, not sure what I could use it for, except the obvious. I hoep to get it for less than a hundred...

I'll let you now later on...

I don't know what that thing is, but it's awesome.

The issue with the really soft leathers is that unless supported, they can be pushed down into the slot of the needle plate, which boogers up the whole idea of the machine feeding the leather. The best thing to do is to just support the leather right where the slot is. Which gets interesting because the needle has to move through there. Some of our members, when sewing shearling, have put a piece of heavy duty duct tape across the slot, then slit it to allow the needle to move. I think something like that would work here as well. Since you're talking about using a patcher, you should realize that that is jump foot only (top only) feeding mechanism, and the needle only goes up and down through a small hole. That should help prevent the edge from collapsing, but hey.....it's time to test it, then let us know how it worked.

Well I am getting the patcher on Tuesday... Its going to be interestig getting it on the train....Atleast there is no treadle :)

I will test your idea then... I look forward to playing with it an I guess fixing it first...

I will post pics of it when I finally have it... I only hope it works

Alex