TomSwede

Black dayplanner with raven

Had this laying on my desk for half a week now but since shots inside was to crappy I waited for the rain to stop pooring down.

The carving was difficult for me and it was thoroughly discussed on the board with lots of help and thoughts, foremost from ClayB and Crystal. I ended up with daring my hand at trying to draw up one that I could carve from the original image and it a mix between the one Clay posted and the research from Crystal that showed that Ravens have lots of hair in their faces.

I'm pleased with the carving for now and think the backside came out well too except for the eye that is farthest away. That was a carving mistake from me and the face contour line took a wrong turn.

As usual I didn't manage to close the braid properly. I need to study and train that thoroughly sometime. I rounded off the corners in an attempt to escape the trickyness there and got pretty good coverage.

Anyways, bring on the critique. I can handle it.

Tom

IMG_9526_01.jpg

IMG_9527_01.jpg

IMG_9529_01.jpg

IMG_9531_01.jpg

post-5146-1245078300_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1245078418_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1245078471_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1245078500_thumb.jpg

Wow, Tom! That looks really, really sharp! :You_Rock_Emoticon: I really like how you did the bump-out on the sides of the planner. That gives it an extra little twist that looks really cool. Excellent job!

Crystal

THat looks really good, the raven did turn out great.

Tom, you pulled it off with great style, as usual. Great work! :notworthy:

Wow, Tom! That looks really, really sharp! :You_Rock_Emoticon: I really like how you did the bump-out on the sides of the planner. That gives it an extra little twist that looks really cool. Excellent job!

Crystal

Thank you for the help Crystal, without you and Clay It had only come out half as good.

The bump on the sides shape is something I have played with even before getting into leathers. I often turn to my kithen and look up round and oval objects and put them to my patterns and draw shapes around them, be it in a design or the shape of a pattern. I used this on the just posted skullbelt aswell.

THat looks really good, the raven did turn out great.

Thanks Madmax!!! Yeah, I'm very happy with the Raven considering how little I've ventured into this kind of designs.

Tom, you pulled it off with great style, as usual. Great work! :notworthy:

Thanks Hilly!!

Nice words from you!!

Tom

I really love the design outlay. I never thought about doing that round and pointed tip on the outside like you did. Very nice.

Looks great. I think your use of the little bump out design adds character and visual appeal.

Two thumbs up!

Yep! We got another nice one here! Good job dude. I like the profile you put on that piece.

Cheers,

Andy

Love it!

Damon

I really love the design outlay. I never thought about doing that round and pointed tip on the outside like you did. Very nice.

Thank you Kings X!!

Like I said earlier, kitchen is where the ideas of shapes is born BUT I have also seen many albums and dayplanners etc here that has an extra piece sewn onto the back and often that piece uses this curved shape but the actual shape stays rectangular.

Looks great. I think your use of the little bump out design adds character and visual appeal.

Two thumbs up!

Thank you Scissormedic!!

Yep! We got another nice one here! Good job dude. I like the profile you put on that piece.

Cheers,

Andy

Thank you Andy!! It is not the best thing when you are braiding the edge tough, gotta make sure you get the holes matched up so you have one centerhole on the bump.

Edit: Thank you Vikti!!

Tom

Edited by TomSwede

I just noticed the Lone Star card inside the cover, I didn't know that you were a fellow guildie

I just noticed the Lone Star card inside the cover, I didn't know that you were a fellow guildie

Ah, greetings to you Damon!

I sure have a hard time attending meetings, lol!!

Tom

Hi Tom,

I think you did a great job on this project. I'm impressed how you took what we offered you, but went ahead and did your own thing with it. It's got that TomSwede style that we've come to expect from you, and even though it's all black, the carving really stands out.

Hi lil'bro,

I love your Raven, being one of my top birds I think you did great and I agree with ClayB on your style...Make sure you keep it it's what makes it yours:-)

Hi Tom,

I think you did a great job on this project. I'm impressed how you took what we offered you, but went ahead and did your own thing with it. It's got that TomSwede style that we've come to expect from you, and even though it's all black, the carving really stands out.

Thank you very much Clay!!

I drew up the feathers by myself but kept a keen eye on the one you made and mixed in some elements of Crystals findings on Raven facial hair and for that I looked back at the original drawing.

I am really happy with the outcome and couldn't have made it without you two.

LW is fantastic and so are the people here. Most of what I do could not have been completed without this board so thanks all for that :notworthy:

Hi lil'bro,

I love your Raven, being one of my top birds I think you did great and I agree with ClayB on your style...Make sure you keep it it's what makes it yours:-)

Thank you sis!!

Ravens are really very beautiful!!!

Tom

I don't know how I missed this earlier - I see it was originally posted some time ago...

Very nice work, Tom, that is a gorgeous dayplanner! I know a lot of times we say things like, "The carving turned out well," as though it's kind of hit-or-miss if the carving is well-done. I think it's better to say, "You paid your dues!" The raven looks great, and now you have more capabilities than you had before you started this project. Also, nice, clean work on the lacing. I'm sure the owner of this pieces will treasure it.

Kate

Love it, love it, love it. What font did you use? Darryl

That came out really nice! I never thought about changing the shape of a day planner! What a great idea. It opens a whole new set of ideas.

Milli

Tom, great work, live and learn.

I don't know how I missed this earlier - I see it was originally posted some time ago...

Very nice work, Tom, that is a gorgeous dayplanner! I know a lot of times we say things like, "The carving turned out well," as though it's kind of hit-or-miss if the carving is well-done. I think it's better to say, "You paid your dues!" The raven looks great, and now you have more capabilities than you had before you started this project. Also, nice, clean work on the lacing. I'm sure the owner of this pieces will treasure it.

Kate

Thank you very much Kate!!

Yeah, definetly added to experience with this one and prolly another dayplanner to make:-)

Love it, love it, love it. What font did you use? Darryl

Thanks Darryl!!!

That is the font of the Quake3 videogame!!!

That came out really nice! I never thought about changing the shape of a day planner! What a great idea. It opens a whole new set of ideas.

Milli

Thanks Milli!! I bought a complete dayplanner for this one and used the measurements from that one and just added the bent shapes to it using round objects from the kitchen.

Tom, great work, live and learn.

Thanks Mbogo!!

Yeah that's a great rule (to try) and live by!!

Tom