buddy saddle

Saddle Carving Patterns

I am a new saddle maker,two saddles so far,I can not draw very well,I have searched and searched for saddle carving patterns and just can not find them,I like the old style carving.Any help appreshated,any of you have old patterns?Thanks Buddy

Welcome to the site Buddy. I'm not a saddle maker but I know that the Leather Crafters and Saddlers Journal magazine often publishes articles on saddle making and along with those articles they carving patterns for part of the saddle. It's usually just one part, say a fender, but it's the only source I know of. More knowledgeable people here probably can point you to other sources. Good Luck!

Bob

I am a new saddle maker,two saddles so far,I can not draw very well,I have searched and searched for saddle carving patterns and just can not find them,I like the old style carving.Any help appreshated,any of you have old patterns?Thanks Buddy

Buddy,

It's a unlikely you'll find a complete tooling pattern that will fit your next saddle because there is no standard for sizes. Fenders, seats, jockeys, etc vary in size and shape with every maker, so you will most likely need to modify anything you might find. Old sytle tooling patterns will probably be even harder to find. If you can find an old saddle with a pattern you like, you can take a rubbing of the pattern and then modify it to suit your needs. That would be a really good place to start. You could look in old saddle catalogs also and copy one you like. Another thought is that if you are just starting out, you may want to practice your tooling for awhile before committing yourself to such a large and difficult tooling project. Meanwhile someone on the forum here may have what you need....you never know. Good luck with the project...we would all like to see what you come up with!

Bobby

Buddy,

It's a unlikely you'll find a complete tooling pattern that will fit your next saddle because there is no standard for sizes. Fenders, seats, jockeys, etc vary in size and shape with every maker, so you will most likely need to modify anything you might find. Old sytle tooling patterns will probably be even harder to find. If you can find an old saddle with a pattern you like, you can take a rubbing of the pattern and then modify it to suit your needs. That would be a really good place to start. You could look in old saddle catalogs also and copy one you like. Another thought is that if you are just starting out, you may want to practice your tooling for awhile before committing yourself to such a large and difficult tooling project. Meanwhile someone on the forum here may have what you need....you never know. Good luck with the project...we would all like to see what you come up with!

Bobby

Thanks i have made a couple of rubbings,I have been tooling for a while,but just started saddle making I am hooked I love it.Thanks Buddy

These are instructions plus patterns for saddlemaking:

http://www.leathercr...gSeriesNew.html

To me it sounds a good way to start.

Gesa

Thanks I will give it a try.Buddy

Thanks havent thought of that,uddy

Thanks i have made a couple of rubbings,I have been tooling for a while,but just started saddle making I am hooked I love it.Thanks Buddy

Sorry, Buddy, I jumped to a conclusion I shouldn't have, LOL! I can be a little dense some times! :poofan:

hidepounder no problem I read a lot of your post,leatherworker.net is a great place,it has helped me a lot on my first saddles and i have a friend here who has a saddle repair and boot shop,that helps to. Buddy

Buddy

I can say that this has helped me a lot. Find someone that draws carves lots of saddles. Then get a hold of them some how and talk with them. Then ask if they will take a look at what you are drawing and ask if they will let you know what might look better or what needs to be different. I can say that I have got lots of great advice on my patterns this way. I see lots of people asking for patterns for different thing but are not willing to try and draw their own up. By drawing your own first it seems to let the guys you ask for help that your really in it for the long haul. I know there are some great guys on this site that have worked with me one on one with patterns I have drawn up and am sure that they will help others that are willing to work at it some.

Hope this helps out I know it as worked for me.

Mark