chancey77

Leather Chairs From 1450-1527

Some very fine examples of Leather Artisan work from 1400's-1500's still alive and kicking!

There was a lot of leather items in this castle but these really caught my attention.

Not only is the leather work still in tact but add in the ORIGINAL EUROPEAN GROWTH WOOD and that I think is the real reason these pieces have lasted so long. Todays wood that we use is fast growth and just don't have the age craftsmen where using from those times. Nothing beats a piece of oak that was here since the beginning of time for a piece of furniture designed for a KING and his family!

post-28433-075809100 1343318580_thumb.jp

post-28433-098453100 1343318587_thumb.jp

post-28433-060112900 1343318593_thumb.jp

Edited by chancey77

I really like that last one. So I'm assuming all the straps on them are to keep people from plopping their fat buts down and trying them out.....admit it - you were tempted!!!

I really like that last one. So I'm assuming all the straps on them are to keep people from plopping their fat buts down and trying them out.....admit it - you were tempted!!!

Of course I wanted to try them:) And I did save the best for last.

I'm not sure where those are, or who dated them, but I have to say as a 15th century reenactor; if those are 15th century chairs I'll eat my hat :cowboy:

That style of chair is an 18th century thing at the earliest, and I wouldn't be surprised if those were actually Victorian chairs that haven't aged terribly well. The last one might be late 16th century, but the aesthetic still looks wrong, and if it is I'd say the upholstery has been redone.

If you want to see some pictures of medieval and renaissance chairs have a look here Larsdatter's chair page. Unfortunately leather wasn't a big feature of upholstery until the modern period.

Interesting chairs Chancey, you're right about old growth wood. Nothing like it now a days. Amuckart, interesting website on period furniture. Makes me appreciate the comfortable furniture of today!:yes: Intricate work by some talented people back then.

I'm not sure where those are, or who dated them, but I have to say as a 15th century reenactor; if those are 15th century chairs I'll eat my hat :cowboy:

That style of chair is an 18th century thing at the earliest, and I wouldn't be surprised if those were actually Victorian chairs that haven't aged terribly well. The last one might be late 16th century, but the aesthetic still looks wrong, and if it is I'd say the upholstery has been redone.

If you want to see some pictures of medieval and renaissance chairs have a look here Larsdatter's chair page. Unfortunately leather wasn't a big feature of upholstery until the modern period.

Actually I did ask the curators if they where real and they said yes. You are right about the first 2 chairs. They are from the 1800's. The sight you shared is very cool, but those are French,English and Italian chairs. These are Russian and Swedish rulers during the time of this castle.

Finland was tribes until Sweden took over in 1249 during the Crusades and then in 1800 Sweden fought Russia for control and lost to the Russian empire at which time Alexander I took rule over the Provence. The first 2 chairs are from 1800 era, but the last chair is original 1527 at a time of Swedish rule.

Finland did not become its own independent country until 1917. Though the first written language books of modern day Finnish (Suomi) was written in mid 1500's.

So the architecture and many of the buildings that still stand from that time are Russian due to the fires that destroyed Helsinki and Turku the old Capital. Though many original Swedish built buildings still stand in the country side.

If you would like to see more pics of this castle send me your email and I will send you a link to picassa.