ShawnW

Deciding Between A Cowboy 2500 And A Consew 206

Good morning. I had several questions on a couple of industrial machines. I have talked to several dealers, and I live very close to Ryan Neel, who has also been very helpful. I make horse tack including headstalls, breastcollars, chaps, etc. I currently have an industrial Necci for the light work, and us a Singer 29K for the medium stuff, and hand stitch most of the heavy items. I am wanting to upgrade machines, and have been debating between the Cowboy 2500 and the Chandler 406 or Consew 206. I have heard good and bad about both, but when it comes right down to it these machines are within my budget. I am currently working on a project that is going to be some of the heavier stuff that I do. It is a breastcollar, total thickness on the end is slightly less than 3/8", 3 pieces of 8 oz, and the middle is 2 pieces of 8oz. I know several makers that have used Ferdco 440's, and liked them, but having the bottom feed is a problem. The only problem I foresee with the flatbed machines is the thickness limitation. I currently use 138 top, 92 bottom in my 29K, and I am happy with this thread. I will probably go up to 207 top on a new machine. I was wondering if you had any suggestions on selecting one of these machines, and if you may have anything used available. I appreciate any comments.

Shawn

The CB2500 sews up to 7/16", with bottom feed only. It is well capable of tensioning #346 thread, top and bottom. Using #277 would be perfectly fine for horse gear. The horse will not complain about tooth marks on the bottom of the headstall. However, if that becomes a problem, you can use a spoon to smooth them out.

I would assume you will be using English Bridle Leather. It is very easy to smooth out tooth marks on either the grain or pasted flesh sides.

OTOH, if you are going to be sewing right at 3/8 inch, or even higher, the Chandler and Consew will be maxed out at a dangerous height. You would be better off with a Juki LU-1508 NH, which has very high lift and uses system 190 Pfaff needles. Their bobbins hold about double the capacity of a standard industrial bobbin. This machine sews up to 7/16 inch with #207 thread. They can be had for about $2600, plus or minus, depending on the motor and shipping charges.

If you begin sewing leather projects reaching or exceeding 1/2 inch, go back to the drawing board and look for an affordable 441 or Adler type machine, or a Union Lockstitch needle and awl machine. My ULS sews 7/8 inch, with any size thread.

Thank you Shawn and Wizcrafts... As I am looking at buying a cowboy 2500. I want it for belts, holsters and sheaths.

Shawn, did you buy a machine yet? If so, what did you end up with and would you share your feedback.

Thank you both,

Jason

Thank you Shawn and Wizcrafts... As I am looking at buying a cowboy 2500. I want it for belts, holsters and sheaths.

Shawn, did you buy a machine yet? If so, what did you end up with and would you share your feedback.

Thank you both,

Jason

The machine will be fine for belts, holsters and sheaths but keep in mind you'll get some marking on the bottom of your leather. If this is an issue you may want to look into getting a 441 clone.

Ron

If you are wanting to save a few bucks you might check into a Singer 16-88 or 16-188 or a clone of one. They seem to run out fine with 207 on the top and can do 3/8. I see them all the time for under 200.

I'm thinking of buying the cowboy 2500 without reverse to save a couple hundred bucks. Right now I mostly do belts... But I'm getting into wallets, and down the road - who knows what I might want to sew. Am I being foolish and should I save a little longer for the 2500 with reverse?

Anyone's input would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Jason

A local guy here has a GA5-1 for 600.00. It comes with three different feet, a roller foot, a few bobbins and needles and of course the servo motor and table. It is in very good condition if you are looking to save a few bucks. This is in Kansas City

I'm thinking of buying the cowboy 2500 without reverse to save a couple hundred bucks. Right now I mostly do belts... But I'm getting into wallets, and down the road - who knows what I might want to sew. Am I being foolish and should I save a little longer for the 2500 with reverse?

Anyone's input would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Jason

I would wait and buy one with reverse. The machine only has a 10.5" depth inside the body. If you are sewing a long Western holster, or a large strap with inside stitching designs, you'll need more room to turn it around to lock stitches.

OTOH, if you only expect to sew along the edges, in one direction, reverse isn't required. In this case, sew over the starting stitched for a few stitches, then cut the thread and burn the ends into the holes.

Edited by Wizcrafts