Sign in to follow this  
megabit

Hat band

Hey that looks pretty slick megabit. What are you using for your foundation on the pineapple knots? They have a nice shape.

I tied the ends of the braid in rather poor Mathew Walker knots (need to work on that) and then wrapped them with artificial sinew to give it some shape. That worked good for the 1st knot but the second one came out crappy so I cut it off. The second time I built it up with florist tape and whittled it down a bit with a knife. (thanks for the tip Alan)

megabit

Looking good!! I know in the past you have asked for a critique so I'm going to offer up a few things. I hope not to offend. When looking at your pineapple knots they look good overall. But it looks like your standing end is just going under one. If you leave a couple of inches when you start you will be able to run it back up under a couple of strings when you finish the knot. It would hide better and be less likely to come undone. I can't see real well from the picture but is that a spanish ring knot. You could also cut the ends of the strings at a taper which would give them a more finished look. Keep up the good work!

Mike

megabit

Looking good!! I know in the past you have asked for a critique so I'm going to offer up a few things. I hope not to offend.

No offense taken, I certainly am looking for critique, how else will I improve. :)

When looking at your pineapple knots they look good overall. But it looks like your standing end is just going under one. If you leave a couple of inches when you start you will be able to run it back up under a couple of strings when you finish the knot. It would hide better and be less likely to come undone.

I do leave a couple of inches to help pull tight, but cut it down close when done. I like the idea of running it back under some strings instead, it always bothered me just cutting it off but wasn't sure what else to do. Not sure I understand exactly where to run the end but I may practice with some paracord and post up pics to see if I understand what you mean.

I can't see real well from the picture but is that a spanish ring knot. You could also cut the ends of the strings at a taper which would give them a more finished look. Keep up the good work!

Mike

Yes, it is a spanish ring cutting on a taper would certainly be easy. Ohh and all of the cool people are named Mike. :evillaugh:

Mike

Do you know what a terminal knot is? That's what I end all my braids with and in doing so I don't need to use any string or sinew unless I want the button larger. I also shape the terminal knot before I braid my button over it. It helps a little when I go to shape it.

And as far as the herringbone or pineapple knot and hiding the standing string, before I start the interweave I pull out the standing end one time and tuck it under 2. Not sure that makes sense. I'll see how Gail Hought explains it. Anyway once the interweave is done that standing end is hidden and secured very well. It just needs to be cut as short as possible and shaped. In Gail's book she says over and over again to hide under 3, so I'm thinking that's pretty important.

All that said I think you are doing great, you are very brave to take on rawhide!

And I have the measurements for a double 4 plait hat band if you ever want to make one of those. It's for kangaroo but maybe there isn't much difference when measuring out string for projects.

Not sure which knot you mean by terminal. Do you have any online references? I do have Gail H's revised basic book on order should be here any day know.

Not sure which knot you mean by terminal. Do you have any online references? I do have Gail H's revised basic book on order should be here any day know.

I don't know of anything on line off the top of my head, but Grant shows 4 string version on pps 108 & 109 of the Encylopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding.

Ron Edwards shows the same knot on pps 28 & 29 of his original Advanced Leatherwork ( Ramskull Press) where he calls it a gumknot button.

They are just a crown and then wall and will work with any number of strings.

There are several other buttons in the Ron Edwards book that would also work.

By the way, my corral hat has a 38 bight spanish ring knot for a hat band.

Sidney Wood

Oh good, glad you are getting Gails book, you will LOVE it. I just got her bosal 1 book, and there is good information in there even if I'm not doing a bosal! Of course the first one is the best!