Hail and well met, all,

As I was sole entrant in the June Challenge and several chats with Double C, I am posting the July Challenge for all to see. While DoubleC and I spoke of doing a lacing challenge of some sort, I am thinking that tis time for a Masquerade Ball, after such a period challenge June had. So the idea is to make a Mask of Leather you might where to a Masquerade Party. It can be any style or theme you like but must be of leather cover at least one eye and some portion of the face. This means it can be from a Phantom of the Opera half Mask, to a Lone Ranger, to a full face. What do ya think?

Ok, so I started one mask then switched to another version, as I also needed it for Summer Camp. I began work on a skull face that had a fairly cool piece of tooling, making it look like two layers. I will post pics of it, as well soon. But once I got it started, I realized I need something for Superhero day at Summer Camp. As I am not the cape and tights kinda guy, I looked at some of Marvel's more plain dressed and came upon Red Skull, who is just that. A Red Skull in a Black Trench coat. I have the coat, I now have the mask and will post pics later this tomorrow or Saturday. The Skull is a full face and over the head covering.

What a cool idea Faire. I will try my best to keep up this time but things have been hectic around here the last month and not seeing an end in sight. Can't wait to see pictures of yours though. And any ideas as the teacher in this challenge on where to get some ideas because masks are such a specialty area I've never even thought about one. Cheryl

Ok, I am told a little explanation need be given here for how to make a mask. I use a 4/5 oz leather as it is sturdy enough to hold shape and not to bulky for some detailed work. You will need some supplies such as Paper for patterning, etc. I am linking a decent tutorial in Deviant Art. http://ranasp.deviantart.com/art/Leather-Mask-Making-Tutorial-41572623 and it explains a good deal of it. the most exciting part is detailing!

Quick guide to steps:

Make a paper Pattern

Trace it on leather

Cut it out

Tool it

Mold it

Dye it

Seal it

Attach ties

Wear it

If you want a large Beak or horns or some such, you'll need to allow extra material to be drawn in for them. Have some fun and I hope to see some reral cool masks out of the group!

hmmmmm. I have been planning on attempting a mask for a while now. This may just be the time to figure it out.

Ok, so, as promised, Here are some pics. The unfinished one I started first, then switched Wednesday to the completed one.

post-41713-0-86700700-1373078261_thumb.j

post-41713-0-65273400-1373078273_thumb.j

post-41713-0-71760000-1373078333_thumb.j

post-41713-0-90485400-1373078343_thumb.j

post-41713-0-58916600-1373078369_thumb.j

post-41713-0-09200700-1373078374_thumb.j

post-41713-0-19932800-1373078383_thumb.j

post-41713-0-30267400-1373078394_thumb.j

post-41713-0-65349200-1373078560_thumb.j

um...I could be wrong, but isn't Red Skull a villain rather than a superhero?

edit: wow! looks amazing.

Edited by WinterBear

Bear, You are right, but what good are a bunch of superheroes if there is no villain? Like Batman, I can be that guy. THey'll chase me. Cuz I can take it.

scary enough that I'd run the other way :) It is a great job though Faire. Cheryl

Wow, what an amazing mask! I may have to partake in this challenge and thanks for the link to the tutorial. I am still learning so may have to work up the courage to do this!

It is funny I was just talking about this sort of thing to some fellow motorcycle people today! I like this challenge!! I think I will throw down on this this month:) Great idea.

I'll toss my hat, er mask into this... :)

il_570xN.479193635_h14i.jpg

Do you have a pic of the backside, RT? Just curious.

RT Beautiful job. Cheryl

No, FLF - sorry. Its already in the hands of its owner. I'm sure one can easily be obtained however or I could answer any questions you have. :)

RT Beautiful job. Cheryl

Thanks Cheryl. Much appreciated. :)

Just the challenge to come back to the forums with. I am late and feel horrible for dropping out of my turn to run a challenge... Will post pictures of what my mask looks like so far tomorrow morning

As requested... the backside.

480035_10100594517164929_1949051057_n_zps44cb96d8.jpg

Rttingle, as you were the only other player posting pics, You win the Challenge. I disqualify myself, as I ran it. I like the mask alot. The reason I asked about the back side was the pieces that look like bolts. I was wondering if you used real bolts or how they were attached. My only critique would be to line it to cover those lose points of the screw dots. Sweet mask, bro!