Sign in to follow this  
Nocturne

Birthday Gift Wall-hanger

In the process of making myself a tool rack cover, I showed a friend a pic of the carving I have done on it so far. He flipped out. Turns out, M C Escher's "Drawing Hands" is his sister's favorite picture ever, and her birthday's coming up. So, he asked if I could make one for her, and he'd buy it off me. This is what I made. I think they'll be pleased.

escher_1.jpg

Carving time, about 2 1/2 hours. Colorization and assembly, about an hour, with having to wait for dry times to handle. Used an acrylic sealer on the hands to act as a resist against a medium brown stain.

Comments welcome!

post-4015-1204507639_thumb.jpg

Very good job from what I could see of it due to glare. Hands and faces are some of the hardest things to draw and carve. Practice makes perfect.

Yeah, still trying to get the settings right on my new camera to take better pics of my leatherwork. Tried changing flash settings, turning away the desk lamp, etc. Took about 4 or 5 pics with all diff settings, and this one had the least glare.

looks good even with the glare.

That's an awesome picture, maybe swap the pens for swivelknife for you own?

Nice done and you got those shadows down aswell.

Glare is a problem with those high gloss acrylics. If I can I take the pics before sealing an item but like with this one that's harder and for that reason I also take a snap when I have finished off the tooling part. Oh and never flash, just alot of regular lamps but I can go up to ISO1600 without any disturbing noise.

Your friend is gonna have one happy sister!

Nice stuff!

Tom

Hmm... definitely something I'll try, I think my camera can go up to that ISO as well. Like I said, new cam, still getting the hang of it. Thanks!

Very nice Bro!

Looks even better in person!