MojoGeorge

I Can't Help It, I'm A Geek!

Being an avid gamer I couldn't help myself. Quick explanation for non gamers, In Dungeons and Dragons, the player guides his character through a story, a well played game can resemble a novel.

The players roll various die to determine a random number to resolve actions in the game...

I hope this makes sense,

Anyway, one of the most reviled die in the game is the 4 sided die, this little pyramid of death has hidden in shag carpets and damaged geek feets for years.

So, this is a 4" leather 4 sided die,

I hope you guys like it, I had a ball making it. There are several other unusual dice in the game and I am going to try to reproduce them over the next few weeks

Thanx Geo

post-8619-0-06308100-1377922166_thumb.jppost-8619-0-76136700-1377922187_thumb.jppost-8619-0-64297100-1377922200_thumb.jppost-8619-0-54130600-1377922210_thumb.jppost-8619-0-57013100-1377922219_thumb.jppost-8619-0-18271700-1377922233_thumb.jp

Hah! My son was an avid Dungeons and Dragons player and is also a GEEK :-). I will show this to him for sure - looks good!

Since you are one of "those guys" (LOL) you might be interested in the new iphone app that he has created and launching tomorrow. It's called "this is not a test" - It's an RPG meets comic book thing.

Here's a link ... https://www.facebook.com/pages/This-is-Not-a-Test-iPhone-App/176057942576283

Hey, maybe I will have to think of a leather project for him to celebrate!

Looks great!

Hah! My son was an avid Dungeons and Dragons player and is also a GEEK :-). I will show this to him for sure - looks good!

Since you are one of "those guys" (LOL) you might be interested in the new iphone app that he has created and launching tomorrow. It's called "this is not a test" - It's an RPG meets comic book thing

I liked the facebook so my friends will see it as well, but I am an android user, and will not be able to play the iphone app, so hopefully it goes big and makes him a billionaire so he can keep his dad in luxury!!!!

geo

Thanks George!

Anyway, one of the most reviled die in the game is the 4 sided die, this little pyramid of death has hidden in shag carpets and damaged geek feets for years.

So, this is a 4" leather 4 sided die,

Thanx Geo

post-8619-0-06308100-1377922166_thumb.jppost-8619-0-76136700-1377922187_thumb.jppost-8619-0-64297100-1377922200_thumb.jppost-8619-0-54130600-1377922210_thumb.jppost-8619-0-57013100-1377922219_thumb.jppost-8619-0-18271700-1377922233_thumb.jp

Well done, and I still have my dice ;) lmao

Geeky!!! I never played a game myself, nor had the opportunity to watch one. The one you created, however, is very well done!

I can't help but to smile when I see this! I too am/was a huge RPG geek. I started playing D&D when I was a teenager which then led me to playing Everquest. I guess I will go on to admit that I not play World of Warcraft LOL. Awesome idea and well done. Next is the D20? :)

yep, d20 is cut out and carved, haven't started the stitching yet... maybe by christmas?

No more d4 Caltrops! Nice job! ;-)

I have a friend who is an avid gamer; I made him this dice holder:

http://home.comcast.net/~lukeythetruck/djole/Publications/Leather/TomDragon.htm

DJole,

I went to the link and was blown away! Ya gotta let me steal this idea, I can make them for all my gaming bros... well, maybe not all, but alot... ok ok, at least I can make one for myself and gloat at the poor blokes as they drool!

I have to post the picture of this up because it makes my little geek heart go pitter pat!!

DragonFront

OMG! That is the cutest thing! I say you turn it into a cup and start drinking mead while your friends are playing.

What a great idea. It's larger and most likely softer than a regular D4. And if my wife got mad at me it be easier to see as she throws is at my head.

DJole that is an awesome cup. You could sell those at any comic shop for a killing

DJole,

I went to the link and was blown away! Ya gotta let me steal this idea, I can make them for all my gaming bros... well, maybe not all, but alot... ok ok, at least I can make one for myself and gloat at the poor blokes as they drool!

I have to post the picture of this up because it makes my little geek heart go pitter pat!!

Mojo--go for it! We need these to become the Gucci leather accessory of RPG players.

There is one modification which Tom made after receiving this: he said that it was too soft, since he had a TON of dice in it. What he did is get a piece of PVC pipe which fit inside as a liner. If I were to build more of these, I'd build them around the PVC pipe (and maybe glue some nice pigskin lining on the inside surface of the PVC.

What a great idea. It's larger and most likely softer than a regular D4. And if my wife got mad at me it be easier to see as she throws is at my head.

DJole that is an awesome cup. You could sell those at any comic shop for a killing

Well, here in Tacoma we do have the Game Matrix--I never really considered making a set of these for sale. I can see that perhaps I should look into this. I'd have to use a few standard designs (rather than Tom's custom Chinese dragon and runic door inscription on this one.) I either need to perfect my barrel stitch, or else use an alternate method of connecting the sides, before I would sell them.

D...

I have never tried the barrel stitch myself, so what a better way to learn it!

I was thinking about building it with the same weights and style as the dice cup in the Leathercraft library video series

geo

D...

I have never tried the barrel stitch myself, so what a better way to learn it!

I was thinking about building it with the same weights and style as the dice cup in the Leathercraft library video series

geo

I don't know what size that dice cup is. The one I made is probably 10 inches high or so (estimated from memory). I used a metal container (which one held gourmet hot chocolate, I believe) to wet-form it around after carving it. The next time I do this, I'll form it around the PVC stiffener. And the barrel stitch--I need to find people more experienced than myself (or maybe a video) to show me what to watch for.

Leathercraft library has a video of the stitch, I have watched but haven't tried it yet.

I have a new piece of work--it's another dice box. This one is built around a clear plastic box.
Serpent%20BoxPic.jpg

Looks great! I will post some picks this weekend of a new dicebox and rolling tray built as a leather bound book

Looks great!

Cool! I look forward to seeing them! I have another box in the works right now--I'm finalizing the design which will go on it.
The box will have a face of a Buddhist temple "demon" on all four sides.

I also have a blank, book-shaped box which I will use in the future for design #4.

I made these as Christmas gifts, posted them in my gallery a while back.

I was going to copy the tower cup but then came up with this idea.

Dice Bags

D&D dice bags

I made these as Christmas gifts, posted them in my gallery a while back.
I was going to copy the tower cup but then came up with this idea.

Oh,that's a great idea! It's meta-dice! :thumbsup: I don't know if I'd want to go more than the 8 or 10 sided die, however. I can't see doing a 20 sider out of leather (although Mojo just might...heh!)

Those are freaking spiffy! The leather looks like a chrome tan, but I know that's wrong cause you carved it! Hmmm inquiring minds want to know...

Mojo Geo

D, 12 sides are the most fun

D, 12 sides are the most fun

They were just 3/4 ounce veg tan from Tandy. I buy the edge scraps they sell for 5 or 6$ for smaller projects and testers. I stamped them and then dyed them with Fiebings Oil dyes. Now that I look at them again I didn't do a very good job finishing the edges. I would also like to find a better way of closing them.