HideAlchemist

Would Love A Critique On My Starting Business

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this environment and would like to introduce myself (I tried looking for the specific board to introduce myself as a newbie but not sure if I overlooked it). Name's Chris [from California] and started this leather craft journey about close to 2 years ago. I've been in my cave honing in on the most efficient methods of constructing quality leather goods. I'm still in the fetal stages of blossoming the business. At the moment still developing templates and prototypes for more elaborate products (bifolds, messenger bags, holsters, etc.). So my inquiry is moreso based on the presentation/marketing aspects [i.e. What draws you in or away?]

ANYHOW... Would love to get a critique on what I have out so far before I officially launch my own .com webstore. My .com domain is (for now) directly attached to my blog template which has a link to my shop at top. But in a few months I will be migrating that domain name to an actual webstore for my "brand". Just wanted to know if there was anything I can improve upon in terms of the presentation.

My website at the moment is: www.mojobazaar.com

and my shop link is: www.mojobazaar.etsy.com

I infinitely appreciate the time! And if there is anything I should know about forum etiquette, please let me know if this was an inappropriate post.

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by HideAlchemist

Hi, first of all keep up the good work! In the end of the day hard work and to believe in your self 200% is what will make you succeed. I'm not sure what you're after here, as most members here are not professionals in the sense that they make a full time living of leather work and those who are tend to be a bit like - do it on your own - mentality. While we all are happy to give input and views we are not your target customers. That is what you need to find. To run a business you need to learn about that and marketing. Courses, etc. That's why you see mediocre products being sold by successful companies and great products (like so much being displayed here on this forum) that never gets sold mainstream. If you have the capital to market yourself heavily it might go quicker but otherwise be prepared for the long, long way to climb the ladder. Do a 5 year business plan. Expect to get halfway during that time if you're lucky. And regardless of how much you prepare, the real journey starts when you throw yourself whole heartily out there! That's when you find out what will work for you and what doesn't. You can theorize as much as you want and listen to other people opinions but there are no short cuts and nothing substitute hard work. And what makes other successful will not necessarily help you. Because you're not just gonna copy are you? So don't wait, start now, find your own feet and style, take courses on how to run a small business and marketing, trial and error. Good Luck!

Great stuff, my friend. Definitely makes a whole lot of sense. Will take all said into consideration. Thanks for taking the time, brother.

Haven't fully launched. Moreso, experimenting with the branding.

The focus should/will be to create quality goods in the hut first and foremost! And then figure out the monetization and marketing thereafter.

Best Regards.

Jot a list of magazines, blogs, newspapers, business blogs, hype beast tv (they have a series on artisan type goods) and try to get your name out to them w/ a professionally shot video, Q and A, interview. Along with social media, twitter, pinterest, and activity on style forums and lastly try to get your goods on consignment at least in some kiosks selling jewelry or cellphone cases or in the crafty area of your town there may be some people who make handmade jewellery, that sell them on tables like craft shows.

I agree with what the person above is saying. Id also advise you also create a website that takes you to a professionally made store - its more likely people won't wonder off your etsy. Etsy has the connotation as homemade, small time makers - there are some big companies as well. A website store is a must for any business.

As a side note what camera did you use for your website, it takes some great photos.

Edited by DavidL

Jot a list of magazines, blogs, newspapers, business blogs, hype beast tv (they have a series on artisan type goods) and try to get your name out to them w/ a professionally shot video, Q and A, interview. Along with social media, twitter, pinterest, and activity on style forums and lastly try to get your goods on consignment at least in some kiosks selling jewelry or cellphone cases or in the crafty area of your town there may be some people who make handmade jewellery, that sell them on tables like craft shows.

I agree with what the person above is saying. Id also advise you also create a website that takes you to a professionally made store - its more likely people won't wonder off your etsy. Etsy has the connotation as homemade, small time makers - there are some big companies as well. A website store is a must for any business.

As a side note what camera did you use for your website, it takes some great photos.

That is some very valuable insight. I am definitely looking into either Squarespace or Shopify as my website store. My whole plan was to create prototypes and see what items worked in terms of peer and social marketing input. And then pick and choose the strongest items to list on my store before I start to pay the monthly premiums. Along with all the merch photography beforehand. I really appreciate your reply and feedback for I will take each piece of observational advice into account.

As for the camera, I literally just used my 8 megapixel iPhone 5 (any smartphone should do the trick with natural daylight) and utilized the VSCO Cam app to do post-edits to change the tones and enhance the lighting. I never utilize filters that would be deceiving to the viewer/customer. My experience has been optimal with natural lighting indoors during the day. Any grainy-ness is almost completely diminished giving a fresh look to your product. Composition is also key to "hooking" the potential customer into clicking an item. I use a tan colored baseboard from any warehouse store for the "floor" and an identical piece for the "wall". Creates a loft studio feel with minimal disturbance. I do like the effect that other online vendors use with cropping out backgrounds and just using white backdrops leaving only the item to be visible. Seems time consuming though.

So much to learn everyday! It's awesome.

Thanks again, mate. Sound advice.

Edited by HideAlchemist

Thanks for that tip. Didn't know iPhones can take that good of a picture, I would of guessed a DSLR camera. People use a light box, a white box essentially or a sheet of white paper which is draped over a rod to get that effect.

On the road, explorative, natural type vibe is a popular brand image.

Roots for example does it well since its set it Canada and has that camping rugged style, even though its owners are American.

we decided to give it a miss because we didn't think we could afford to tangle with a huge company. I was just curious, because I've never heard of an Amazon handmade section, and as one hasn't materialized, I began to wonder if it was a scam.

Um, Kathi, that's really weird - almost like a direct quote from one of my posts a few months back.

Hi Chris!

Good luck with your new business. It looks like you're doing pretty well already. I think David's ideas are good ones, especially for the small things you're making right now. Although, if you choose the wrong jewelry vendor, you could downgrade your stuff by association.

I have found that taking the plunge to spend more money on materials is really worth it. I don't charge what I should, and I still get back what I spent, and then make the same amount over. Larger products get more search hits because there are fewer people making them. Find something you really want, but have a hard time justifying because of the expense, and make it. If you wanted it, it's more than likely other people want it too.

Maybe that's the opposite way most people go about finding their target market, and perhaps it's not very good advice, but I think that's the most genuine way to make a good product. Only make what you think is awesome, and your customers will catch your enthusiasm.

Thanks SO much Monica!

Truly a great nugget of advice. I definitely love everything I make and try to learn as much as I can with every item I craft. I guess that's what it's all about! I appreciate everyone taking the time to drop some knowledge!

There's been some infinitely invaluable insights here. Love the comradery here at Leatherworker!

The fact that not a lot of people sell hand stitched bags didn't even occur to me. Now that I think about it only big branded companies sell bags and usually in the 700 - 1.2k range for hand stitched and hand cut bags. The skill it takes is probably why, those who only make wallets haven't learned to make bags or briefcases.

If you compare the workload and cost it takes to make a single bag vs a wallet you can get a larger ROI on your time.

Ex. if the bag costs 700 dollars and takes 6 hours to make subtract the cost of the materials and you will make 600 dollars for 6 hours of work. If you can make 6 wallets in the same time you can make a single bag and each wallet fetched 40 dollars profit ($240 total) you would not make as much per hour a bag. Which is why some companies opt out against hand stitching for machine stitching to speed up the process and in turn increase profit.

Great thing about doing more expensive projects are that they may get more coverage on websites, I have seen it a lot on blogs and style websites that are always trying to write new articles about made in america type goods and look for things that will get more clicks on the articles. Another thing that new products does is make your website easier to find through google or google images.

Even if it doesnt sell it is a win/win situation, where the product can bring in potential customers. You don't even have to make the product if it doesnt sell and you can sell it for a decent profit if it does. Another thing it does is increase the way customers view your online store, much like the same way you enter a high end store and all the top of the line stuff is beyond what you expect, everything else lower in price is viewed as using the similar quality control, similar equipment, similar materials without the flagship price.

Ex. Going to a bar on a special occasion and the price of the highest shot is 50 dollars and the second is 18 dollars, majority will go for 18 dollar shot. The high dollar item is there to get people to up the value of the other items seeing as the 18 dollar shot is better for the value than 50 dollars a shot while still getting a good deal.

So the prices of your lower priced small items can increase slightly without much change to your Supply and demand. Too much and you will see negative results usually.

Edited by DavidL