ABC3

Need Help with dyeing Horse Hide

I dyed (dipped) a Horse Hide 1 1/4" belt yesterday (Light Brown) & let it dry over night. This morning I noticed it came out all blotchy. The color is not even, at all. It needs to ship out today. Is there any recommendations as to what need to be done to even the color out?

Would you re-dip it or try to even the color by re-dyeing just the light portions.

If I put a sealer on it & then a finish coat the blotchness will remain - right?

I hate to start all over on this one. I would be cutting the strap from the same butt & might have the same problem again. No time to order additional product.

Some of the butts get jacked pretty hard and do not take dye well. I use pro oil dye (Fiebing's) and cut it down about 50% with DEA. You can do the same with the regular Spirit Dyes from Fiebing's. I kind of dunk and flood the work, get a sponge and wrap it in an old (clean) t-shirt and just keep flooding the work until it is an even color. It will take longer because the dye is 50%, but it is much more controllable. Rubbing with the sponge/t-shirt (not vigorously, just applying the dye) seems to help even out the process somewhat. I also (and this is important) deglaze the work with Ethyl Acetate or some other strong deglazer to get any oil off and open the pores before dyeing. You can try isopropyl alcohol instead of Ethyl Acetate, but it is not quite as strong. Just scrub the surface with it.

As far as your current project, you may be able to use isopropyl alcohol and then dye again, but you might also end up with a darker project than you want. I think you might give it a shot and chalk it up to a learning experience if it doesn't work, ditto if it does. Part of doing anything is learning how to fix mistakes or "problems", that's experience. Good luck with it.

Art

I dyed (dipped) a Horse Hide 1 1/4" belt yesterday (Light Brown) & let it dry over night. This morning I noticed it came out all blotchy. The color is not even, at all. It needs to ship out today. Is there any recommendations as to what need to be done to even the color out?

Would you re-dip it or try to even the color by re-dyeing just the light portions.

If I put a sealer on it & then a finish coat the blotchness will remain - right?

I hate to start all over on this one. I would be cutting the strap from the same butt & might have the same problem again. No time to order additional product.

Art, thanks for your suggestions. I found another butt & have cut another 1 1/4" strap to start all over. I will dye the 1st belt BLACK & offer it at a reduced price.

One other question: I too use the Pro Dye, as you do. How long do you let it dry. I have been letting it dry overnight but an old saddle maker told me to put a fan on it & it would dry in about an hour. Any thoughts.

Al

Some of the butts get jacked pretty hard and do not take dye well. I use pro oil dye (Fiebing's) and cut it down about 50% with DEA. You can do the same with the regular Spirit Dyes from Fiebing's. I kind of dunk and flood the work, get a sponge and wrap it in an old (clean) t-shirt and just keep flooding the work until it is an even color. It will take longer because the dye is 50%, but it is much more controllable. Rubbing with the sponge/t-shirt (not vigorously, just applying the dye) seems to help even out the process somewhat. I also (and this is important) deglaze the work with Ethyl Acetate or some other strong deglazer to get any oil off and open the pores before dyeing. You can try isopropyl alcohol instead of Ethyl Acetate, but it is not quite as strong. Just scrub the surface with it.

As far as your current project, you may be able to use isopropyl alcohol and then dye again, but you might also end up with a darker project than you want. I think you might give it a shot and chalk it up to a learning experience if it doesn't work, ditto if it does. Part of doing anything is learning how to fix mistakes or "problems", that's experience. Good luck with it.

Art

Hi Al,

I'm of the overnight persuasion, I think this gives the excess dyestuff time to dry thoroughly so it will come off easily with a cloth, brush or loose wheel buff (be careful with a loose wheel buff). I am on the East Coast so our drying times are longer, even in the boiler room. Arizona or Palm Springs might be a different story on dry time.

Art

Art, thanks for your suggestions. I found another butt & have cut another 1 1/4" strap to start all over. I will dye the 1st belt BLACK & offer it at a reduced price.

One other question: I too use the Pro Dye, as you do. How long do you let it dry. I have been letting it dry overnight but an old saddle maker told me to put a fan on it & it would dry in about an hour. Any thoughts.

Al

Art, I agree with you. Thanks for your help.

Al

Hi Al,

I'm of the overnight persuasion, I think this gives the excess dyestuff time to dry thoroughly so it will come off easily with a cloth, brush or loose wheel buff (be careful with a loose wheel buff). I am on the East Coast so our drying times are longer, even in the boiler room. Arizona or Palm Springs might be a different story on dry time.

Art