DebHop

Spanish To English - Translation Please

Any of our Spanish speeking friends out there?

I need an English word for "Curason" as it relates to a bag pattern I'm working on.

I've tried Google Translate but I get nothing.

I thought maybe it was a trademark name like 'Velcro'.

This is the pattern shape and label:

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Deb

post-32368-0-54641300-1352658186_thumb.j

Did you spell it correctly in google? Because the spelling on the picture is completely different than your spelling in the post.

I did a bit of searching and all I can find is a reference to Star Wars and that Cuarson is a sur name...

LOL! me too. I'm a little perplexed. :dunno:

It's most likely a name that plays on the sound of "curación"......literally 'the healing'

Curar is the verb that is to cure, heal, etc. And "they are" is 'son' .....and example: Son divertidos = are fun , with a translator...but 'SON, is the present tense of 'SER' - (to be) for they/them.....so while 'they' isn't indicated with a word, the verb tense of "son" means 'they are'. So, 'son divertidos' means "they are fun".

I suspect it's a trade name given to a design much like Tucker Gun Leather called one of his holsters "The Answer".

In this case, it's probably meant to say that all the problems of purse design have been fixed in that design.....and in this case (working from the quick lesson above) it sounds like Yoda is describing the purse......"Fixed, they are."............in a nut shell, the perfect purse.

A proper translation would be "son curado"...but that just sounds pompous.

Besides, I'm speculating, and using some WAY rusty skills....Heck, it could even be a Spanish colloquialism on a word from another language...like Portuguese. (don't bother, I checked)

Or it's just a name chosen for the design....

If you think about it, there's not much sense that goes into marketing names. For example, some fool named a perfume "Chanel 5".....around my parts, that's just the CBS station. But come to think of it.....sometimes they stink, too, so maybe it is a valid name...

Mike,

I appreciate the language lesson. So, this could be a revision to the pattern maybe and it seems apparent this is pocket placement.

So I'm comfortable that I'm not missing some special material needed to assemble the perfect purse.

Marketing names are often nebulous, there is a chrome polish called "Pig Spit". I wonder what our non-english speeking friends would think to see that on my list of recommended products?

Thank ya much,

Deb

There's also quite a bit of cultural idiosyncrasies coming into play. In the '70s Chevy introduced a car model that sold well here, but sold NONE in Mexico. It was called the "Nova".....but translated, that's Spanish for "Won't Go".

:rofl: I did not know that.

Another one that is pretty amazing....

Gerber foods (Gerber baby food) decided to help with a food shortage in India (this was around the '70s). So, delivered LOTS of babyfood. Absolutely none of it was used and the Indian relief agencies wouldn't distribute it. As it turns out, the good people at Gerber didn't do their homework. At that time, it was very common for the food containers used in India to have a picture of what type of food was in the jar. Gerber just sent over a large shipment of what is sold here.....little jars with the cute baby on the label

The pretty much just dumped the rest of that shipment and sent another shipment that had pictures of carrots, taters, beans, etc., on the labels which were gratefully received.

Oh yes, I've been burned by not doing my 'culture' homework before. I once furnished a meal for my IT team to celebrate a successful project implementation. Half of my staff was from India. I had it catered by Daves Bar-B-Que. Bad Idea!

They ate the potato salad and buns.

Lesson learned - half my team was vegeterian.

There's also quite a bit of cultural idiosyncrasies coming into play. In the '70s Chevy introduced a car model that sold well here, but sold NONE in Mexico. It was called the "Nova".....but translated, that's Spanish for "Won't Go".

I hate to burst your bubble, but that's actually a myth and sales of the Chevy Nova were quite good south of the border. There are actually several lists of car names that didn't translate well to other languages or just sounded ridiculous to everyone but those that were making it. I did take some time to dig up two of them. (here and here)

I am trying to translate all of the words, that are on those patterns, but I have a wife who has had several strokes and she comes before anything else and seems to take all of my time, today we were in the emergency room from 3am until after dark tonight. However I will send what I have done so far. Remember I donot sew and am giving the translation of the words that I know. The word "cuarson" must have ameaning only to sewing, I have never heard it nor my wife. However my sister in law does alot of sewing and I will ask her tomorrow and post what I find out.

Here are the words that I have translated so far:

pleza piece

pasader pass thru

unir join

bandolera strap

clnta ribbon

ferro lining

bolsillo pocket

forro solapa lining of flap

solapa flap

custura de forro lining seam

tupls opening to put something through

entretela between lining and leather (not to be seen from the outside)

pleza por cada lado piece for each side

trosera back side

forro bolsillo trasero lining for back pocket

fuele bosillo trasero lining for back pocket

rayan bolsillio bellow for the pocket

rayan bolsllio scratch pocket

extrangular choke

trasera the back

pasadores pass through

delantera front

ojo eye

corta short

forro interior lining interior

solapa flap

I hope to have time tomorrow to do more, like I say, I do not sew, I am giving a literal translation.

Best regards everyone

Cajun

Cajun,

This is much appreciated, and will help with fabrication and assembly.

It appears we could use the term gusset or gussets where the pattern indicates fuelle, fuelles, or 'bellows'. Seems to be a more common term as it relates to sewing.

I do hope your wife is feeling better very soon.

I hate to burst your bubble, but that's actually a myth ...

...and thus is ruined yet another of my little memories from the good ol' days of college. It's disturbing to find out that little stories that make a point so very well are nothing but fabrications; fables that are used to convey some wisdom with no regard for the actual facts. The Econ300 professor that told it to me will surely burn in Hades for all the lies he told....I'm sure he's got a spot reserved next to Aesop.

Or maybe the point being made was that when you name something you need to be aware how it may translate in another language and thus affect marketability....or that a clever name in your language may not even translate.

try......

"cuar son".... are fourth

or "cual son"...which are

can't make anymore sense than that and in what context of the pattern it relates to..

Edited by gordond

maybe it is "corazone" meaning heart in spanish??